• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Top wrap increase scale length?

YoungGeezer

my les paul has ten gauge strings on. now, i find the strings are a bit too slinky for my liking, and i’m reluctant to go to heavier gauges cuz it’s a nightmare doing the nut slots and all that. My question is: would top wrapping my strings make my strings less slinky? i’m just curious because it’s almost where i want it and i’ve heard some people say that after top wrapping their lp they found the strings are too tense feeling. in my case, i would take that as a benefit.

Señor Verde

Top wrapping would make the strings more slinky. There would be less break angle over the bridge, so the strings would bend easier. It also would not increase the scale length. That doesn't change. The scale length is the length from the nut to where the string goes over the saddle.

jtees4

I would say "it depends". The key is if your tailpiece is snug to the body or raised. With regular stringing method lowering the tailpiece will feel less slinky, raising it will be more slinky feeling. Top wrap does slightly add to string legnth so it could make a minute difference, but the key is where the tailpiece is when you are starting. Hope that makes some sense. Some people top wrap so they can then put the tailpiece tight to the top of the guitar and ultimately still have the same "slinkish" feel with the tailpiece raised.

brandtkronholm

I'll just echo what jtees4 already said so well in post#3.

Top wrapping WILL NOT change scale length. (Scale length is the distance from nut to bridge.)

Top wrapping may make your action feel more slinky because there is less downward force (less friction) on the saddles of the bridge. You're not fighting that downward force when playing. It is especially noticeable when bending strings. (10s feel like 9s!)

Top wrapping may make the tone of the guitar less strident and reduce sustain. (But no one will notice.) Since there is less force over the bridge, the energy of the plucked string travels a bit beyond the bridge and is shared with the top wrapped string between the bridge and tail piece. This is not really a big deal - you would probably be the only person who would hear the (tiny) difference - and then you'd forget about it after a day.

Many Les Paul players top wrapped; Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Billy Gibbons, ... many others.

You may slightly chew up your stop tail piece when top wrapping, but again, it's not a big deal.

If you want to reduce the slinky feel then, with a regularly strung Les Paul, crank your tail piece all the way down.