• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'63 SG Jr.... with white truss cover?

GuitarSWLA

First time poster with some technical difficulties, so forgive me if this is a repeat!

If only all new guitars were this easy...

My godfather always talked about the white SG he used to own. It turns out he traded it to a friend in '75 for a reel-to-reel. 45 years later, his friend calls him up asking if he wants to trade back! He gladly made the trade even though he no longer plays, then he brings it over to my dad's for us to check out. This is what he shows up with:

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Wow! This little guy was just sitting unplayed for 45 years and all of the sudden shows up on my doorstep. What's more my godfather tells me it's now mine! How humbling...

So I began looking into what I was working with:
Changed the strings and plugged it in and let that P90 scream... beautiful (playing through '57 Deluxe Reissue if you're wondering). Tuners also keep better tune than my 2006 SG Standard! Nothing can be so perfect, however, as the neck is twisted, but considering this is a free guitar, I don't mind spending a little money on a good Luthier.

The 129000 series serial number suggests it's a '63, and all features corroborate... except the truss cover:

dateposted-public

I've been unable to find any pictures or documentation of Jrs. with matching truss covers like this. My godfather claims he bought the guitar new and it's had the white truss cover since purchased. That was 57 years ago, so it could be memory error, but for now I'll take his word.

Anybody have any insight or documentation into whether or not '63 Jrs. were produced with assorted truss covers??

Last edited:

latestarter

You need to host your photos And then link them here. Many posts about this if you do a search...beet wishes.