• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

For Sale: Used & Well Played Gibson Custom Shop 2000 Elegant, Sienna Burst

thejaf

Hail Forum Brothers! :salude

***Price Reduced*** to $3,000 for forum members.

Here's the Reverb.com listing https://reverb.com/item/34348561-gi...ul-elegant-2000-flamed-maple-top-sienna-burst

Up for sale is my year 2000 Les Paul Elegant. I've owned this guitar for 19 years, and it was my main gigging guitar from 2001 to 2008. The wear spots on this instrument show it, although it's not "extreme aging" by any means. I bought this used from a collector in Charlottesville in late 2000, but it was unplayed at that time. Being just a dumb guitar player, I knew nothing of certificates from the Custom Shop or any other such nostalgia. It was just a great playing and sounding Les Paul with some extra bling.

In a nutshell: this is a wonderfully built players guitar with so much life left, but I'm no longer gigging enough to justify owning two Custom Shop Les Pauls. I want to see this guitar go to someone who will enjoy it and (hopefully) keep gigging the shit out of it.

Now to the particulars:
1. Finish - Sienna Burst (or so it was advertised in 2000). The top coat is actually thin enough to feel the wood grain below, which is kind of cool.

2. Playability - The neck is somewhere between the 50's and 60's neck, really nice and comfortable. I have had the frets recrowned twice in the last 20 years, but there is still plenty of height left on the original frets. After you get there, it stays in tune very well.

3. Parts - most are original (pickups, tuners, etc.) Know replacements include a bone nut done during the first fret level and recrown circa 2004. GraphTech saddles were installed after I kept breaking strings on the original ones at gigs. The original ones were probably thrown out in a fit of rage. The volume pots are push-pull Alpha, when I was trying to be tricky with the wiring, but they don't do much. Capacitors are Orange Drops, believe it or not the originals were shitty ceramics.

4. Wear - some dings, belt buckle rash, upper bout rub, and two distinct thumb rub spots on the neck at the 2nd and 5th fret. Again, this guitar was played for hours daily for almost 10 years. Hundreds of gigs and numerous rehearsals, not to mention woodshedding.

5. Sound. It's good. Slightly lower output and clean, but full at the same time. To put it in perspective, I'm a pickup changing fiend. But I've never touched these original 57 classics in this guitar. Of the 20+ electric guitars I've owned over the last 30 years, this is the ONLY guitar that has kept the factory pickups.

5. The Chambering. This guitar's body is chambered from a single piece of mahogany. I have to say that the chambering routes are EXACTLY the same as the "Cloud 9" chambered historic line. Why? Because my other #1 Les Paul is a 2007 CR8 and I can observe that the routes are the same. I also have sales literature for the Elegant from 1999 that shows the same exact body route.

6. Price and shipping: I'm asking $3,000 on the Les Paul Forum. I would prefer to not deal with shipping, but can at the buyers expense (shipping, box, and insurance). I am willing to drive up to 3 hours to meet (I am in southwest Virginia, near Blacksburg and Roanoke). Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want additional photographs.

OK, sorry for the small article. Photos to follow.

Last edited:

thejaf

Trying to figure out the photos thing.

Here's an album with some from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/189084870@N08/shares/3s2Q12

xtV249
xtV249
shares-3s2Q12
shares-3s2Q12

Last edited:

thejaf

Bump - dropped price to $3,000 even for forum members, and added Reverb.com listing link in the original post.