• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why is an Alpine White LP Studio so expensive

mike.shore

Hi all,

I've bought and sold a lot of Studios over the years, and the going price here in Canada has always been around $700-$900. I saw an 2017 Alpine White Studio with gold hardware posted on CL for $2500. I asked the seller if there was something specific that made it so valuable and he replied that Alpine White is very rare. I poked around eBay and other sites and sure enough, the price is way more than I'm used to seeing for a Studio. I will admit I don't see many Alpine Whites for sale, but are they *that* rare?

I'm not looking for advice on whether I should buy it or not; it's way out of my price range for a Studio. I'm just curious to see what you all think about this particular color and finish.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Hi all,

I've bought and sold a lot of Studios over the years, and the going price here in Canada has always been around $700-$900. I saw an 2017 Alpine White Studio with gold hardware posted on CL for $2500. I asked the seller if there was something specific that made it so valuable and he replied that Alpine White is very rare. I poked around eBay and other sites and sure enough, the price is way more than I'm used to seeing for a Studio. I will admit I don't see many Alpine Whites for sale, but are they *that* rare?

I'm not looking for advice on whether I should buy it or not; it's way out of my price range for a Studio. I'm just curious to see what you all think about this particular color and finish.
They are not that rare to justify that price. :hank

jrgtr42

The seller is full of hooey on that one.
He's hoping to find a sucker who doesn't know it's not that rare.
Don't bother trying to educate him; he either won't believe you, or he knows that he's lying and will ignore you either way.
Keep moving.

Big Al

Price is subjective. No more rare than Ebony finish. Gold hardware option at slight upcharge. Neither of which are particularly in demand, new or used. Rarity has less to do with price than demand. IMO, it would be nuts to pay that for any Studio.

What makes you think all white ones are the price of that one pipe dreamers guitar and what makes a 3 year old gloss finished Studio w/gold hardware worth only $700-$900 in Canada?

Last edited:

tiller2

The older Alpine White Studios had Ebony fretboards, as I recall. That would be worth paying extra IMO, maybe $100.

Flogger

Rarity has nothing to do with desirablity.

People like the white ones because it is less apparent that there is no binding, so it looks more like a Standard.

Big Al

Rarity has nothing to do with desirablity.

People like the white ones because it is less apparent that there is no binding, so it looks more like a Standard.

Oh really? That is the reason???? White is far from a popular color for Studio's or any Les Paul, with a small group of Randy Rhodes Custom fans excepted, (not white so much as banana pudding and a tiny fraction of Custom market), it has never been a big seller. People like white Studio's because they like white. That is a minority, so less made, less sold, less demand.

All finish choices had ebony fingerboards for a time in the 90's.

Hamerfan

Alpine white comes from the Alpes. Lacquer imported from Switzerland. That's expensive, man.:laugh2: