• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Perhaps a silly question. Chrome or Nickel? 1982 Silverburst Custom

AndrewCCM

Hello. New member here. I’m an original owner of a 1982 Les Paul Custom Silverburst (made in Nashville). When I purchased it back in 82 it had some weird aftermarket tremolo on it and later had it removed and put traditional tunomatic bridge/tailpiece. However, I am now going back and trying to find vintage parts to replace those. I honestly cannot tell by looking at the tuners whether these are Chrome or Nickel. Was wondering if someone might be able to tell.

I sure appreciate it.
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

Attachments

• IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Aloha_Ark

Can you tell if the corrosion is bumpy on the tuners? That would be a sign of chrome. A greyish film would be more a sign of nickel plating.

In a non-corrosion situation, try to polish the metal. (Barkeepers Friend is readily available at Home Depont). A high, mirror like shine is indicative of chrome, but I have seen a glossy look on nickel pickup covers.

https://blog.philadelphialuthiertoo...ickel-and-chrome-plating-for-guitar-hardware/

Strings Jr.

Hello. New member here. I’m an original owner of a 1982 Les Paul Custom Silverburst (made in Nashville). When I purchased it back in 82 it had some weird aftermarket tremolo on it and later had it removed and put traditional tunomatic bridge/tailpiece. However, I am now going back and trying to find vintage parts to replace those. I honestly cannot tell by looking at the tuners whether these are Chrome or Nickel. Was wondering if someone might be able to tell.

I sure appreciate it.
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
Nice guitar!!
They were built with chrome hardware.

Big Al

Nice guitar!!

Hey my brother, how are you doing? Always glad to see you post. For those that are new, Strings Jr worked at Gibson Nashville in that era, building guitars and keeping records. He has helped provide much first hand info and knowledge, which has helped clear up so many misconceptions about this mischaracterised era and instruments. A true resource, check out his "Where are they now?" thread for some informative reading.

Strings Jr.

Hey my brother, how are you doing? Always glad to see you post. For those that are new, Strings Jr worked at Gibson Nashville in that era, building guitars and keeping records. He has helped provide much first hand info and knowledge, which has helped clear up so many misconceptions about this mischaracterised era and instruments. A true resource, check out his "Where are they now?" thread for some informative reading.
Hello Big Al. Thank you for your kind words! I’m doing much better than I deserve. As a fellow two-time survivor, I thank God for every day that He gives me.

Recently, I’ve been excited about re-connecting with some of my former co-workers from Gibson, including Phil Jones, Matthew Klein, Ernie King, and Tim Shaw. Lots of great memories.

But the question is, how are YOU doing? I cherish each and every one of your posts. Every time I see a new Big Al post, I race to open it and read it, eagerly hoping to learn something new.

Hang in there brother!
God Bless!!

AndrewCCM

Nice guitar!!

Thank you so much! Discovered it was made Sept 2, 1982.

I feel very fortunate to get this information from you. Interestingly, this guitar has aged, but the silverburst hasn’t yellowed near as much as most I’ve seen from this era. My Dad worked so much overtime to be able to afford and surprise me with that guitar for my Christmas present (I was 13). Something I’ll never forget and brings me the greatest feeling every time I look at it.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond (all of you). Time to go find an original bridge and tailpiece.

- Andrew

AndrewCCM

Thanks! I’ll check out the thread for sure.

Big Al

Thank you so much! Discovered it was made Sept 2, 1982.

I feel very fortunate to get this information from you. Interestingly, this guitar has aged, but the silverburst hasn’t yellowed near as much as most I’ve seen from this era. My Dad worked so much overtime to be able to afford and surprise me with that guitar for my Christmas present (I was 13). Something I’ll never forget and brings me the greatest feeling every time I look at it.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to respond (all of you). Time to go find an original bridge and tailpiece.

- Andrew

Your Father gave you more than a guitar that Christmas, as I think you know. Love, and giving the best tool to allow you to pursue and explore your artistic side. A personal means for self expression. Imagine the music your child will make on it. Those are nice guitars. Most every one I've played had what I call the Big Brang, due to the strong, full ringing tone they have. Progrocker, is especially well versed in these.