• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a R7? Strap Locks?

LPplayer62

Just got this the other day. Am I right in assuming this is a R7?
Also, I plan on playing this and always use Dunlop Strap Locks should I use trap locks or another form?

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 30
  • fretboard.jpg
    fretboard.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 18
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 44
  • full front.jpg
    full front.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 24
  • headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 43

somebodyelseuk

Just got this the other day. Am I right in assuming this is a R7?
Also, I plan on playing this and always use Dunlop Strap Locks should I use trap locks or another form?
Hiya buddy.
My eyes aren't that good, but a start would be a serial number that starts with 7 then four or five more digits, first of which indicates year of manufacture.
Another good indication is Gibsons way of stopping people passing em off as original guitars. In the control rout, between the neck volume and the cavity wall it'll be stamped R7. The switch cover suggests it's probably an R7 as well..If it came with Gibson COA in the case, it should be written somewhere Les Paul 57 or LPR7 or variations on those. I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything in the photos to suggest it not an R7.
Regarding straplocks. You paid for it, use what you want. I've been using Schaller straplocks, since the early 80s and never had a problem.
It's abeauty, by the way. Inever intended building a stable of these LPRs, but if I buy another, it'll be an R7.

Last edited:

Señor Verde

I gave up on strap locks years ago. They are hard, metal objects at the ends of the strap that swing around and put dings in the guitar's finish. They also eventually wear out, can fail when the guitar is hanging on you and should be checked frequently.

I currently use rubber washers similar to the ones in the link below. They only fail when you are putting them on or taking them off for about the 1,000th time and you can keep spares that take up very little space in your case.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebony-Black-Rubber-Guitar-Strap/dp/B00Q1UYC52

Bruce R

I, too have been using Straplocks for decades. My only beef with them is likely caused by me neglecting them, in forgetting to ensure that the nuts & screws are tightened. I have never had an issue with a loose strap in the case banging around causing nicks or scratches because I usually store them in the compartment. One other thing I like about them is that the button can still somewhat function if you forget the strap with the other part of the mechanism attached.

I do have one tip, however. Make sure you have a small piece of felt between the strap button and the body that protects the finish when you tighten the screw. Some lock systems come with them.

J T

Looks like an R7

Dunlops are fine.

Congrats! Good luck!

LPplayer62

Looks like an R7

Dunlops are fine.

Congrats! Good luck!

Thanks. I use Dunlop strap locks on all my guitars. What I was asking is this going hurt the value if I use them instead of the regular strap button.

Bruce R

Thanks. I use Dunlop strap locks on all my guitars. What I was asking is this going hurt the value if I use them instead of the regular strap button.

Just hang on to the original buttons, but since it's a Custom Shop instrument the parts can easily be obtained.

You'll do more in the way of harming the guitar's value (damage!) by NOT using a straplock system!

au_rick

Dunno about R7's but my R9 had "R9" stamped in the control cavity
+1 for Schallers