• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bourbon Burst or Iced Tea?

Big Al

I have to keep the boxes as I need to use them when I ship out my guitars for service . Which is often . Right now I am in a holding pattern , as I have 4 instruments requiring attention and service . ( 2 Lester's , Stratocaster, Plexiglass )

I do have a few I keep for shipping out, mostly to sell or trade but any box that fits is fine. Almost 60 + and counting. Cannot imagine keeping that many cartons. I'm lucky that I can do my own service but spraying equipment and most of wood tools are sold to cover medical cost. I have my hand tools, but only one functional arm so I only do my own maintenance and am slowly finishing my last builds, which are mostly done except for final sanding, assembly and finish. Neck shape on the acoustic is done and just needs final profile tweeks and fretting. The guitar is assembled and only needs frets, bridge, nut and finish. The electrics are done as far as body and routs, necks are ready for frets except for the ones Warmoth made when my health went south, I just have to finish those. I like hand rubbed finish for my stuff.

Then I'm done. No more.

El Gringo

I do have a few I keep for shipping out, mostly to sell or trade but any box that fits is fine. Almost 60 + and counting. Cannot imagine keeping that many cartons. I'm lucky that I can do my own service but spraying equipment and most of wood tools are sold to cover medical cost. I have my hand tools, but only one functional arm so I only do my own maintenance and am slowly finishing my last builds, which are mostly done except for final sanding, assembly and finish. Neck shape on the acoustic is done and just needs final profile tweeks and fretting. The guitar is assembled and only needs frets, bridge, nut and finish. The electrics are done as far as body and routs, necks are ready for frets except for the ones Warmoth made when my health went south, I just have to finish those. I like hand rubbed finish for my stuff.

Then I'm done. No more.

Very cool , I remember one of your builds with some really nicely figured wood , that made my eyes pop ( along with one of your Les Paul's that you posted a while back , maybe a 2000 ? with some eye popping figure that made me drool ) ( you sure do get the nice ones ) Also I can't ever compliment you enough that you have the know how and skills to work on your instruments . Versus me where I will break something and do some scratches and dents and dings .

Big Al

Very cool , I remember one of your builds with some really nicely figured wood , that made my eyes pop ( along with one of your Les Paul's that you posted a while back , maybe a 2000 ? with some eye popping figure that made me drool ) ( you sure do get the nice ones ) Also I can't ever compliment you enough that you have the know how and skills to work on your instruments . Versus me where I will break something and do some scratches and dents and dings .

Amigo, look Every guitarist should know basic maintenance and set up skills, as I see it. Techs like to make it seem highly skilled, but in reality, it takes a few, inexpensive tools and some knowledge and confidence. Once you understand the nature of it, it becomes easy and repeatable.

It is a good way to filter the noise so many bring, and not fall prey to bad advice or predatory techs. And you'll know when you need a professional to take over and help you avoid falling prey to the all too common "Luthier/Tech" who is neither.

Action, bridge, tailpiece and pickup adjustment,as well as basic wiring/solder skill, setting harmonic intonation of bridge and proper string installation are simple skills to aquire and the concepts behind them easily understood. It really helps to understand and appreciate your instrument.

Even a klutz can master this, if learned correctly. From there it is a small step to saddle and nut slotting and fret polishing. There are so many good sources available now to learn this and it is easy. As a card carrying Skinflint, the dough I saved was reason enough. It saved my ass so many times when touring that I never employed a personal tech or used one even if the band made one available.

Mostly though, it's rewarding and quickly mastered, if learned correctly and it's not hard.

El Gringo

Amigo, look Every guitarist should know basic maintenance and set up skills, as I see it. Techs like to make it seem highly skilled, but in reality, it takes a few, inexpensive tools and some knowledge and confidence. Once you understand the nature of it, it becomes easy and repeatable.

It is a good way to filter the noise so many bring, and not fall prey to bad advice or predatory techs. And you'll know when you need a professional to take over and help you avoid falling prey to the all too common "Luthier/Tech" who is neither.

Action, bridge, tailpiece and pickup adjustment,as well as basic wiring/solder skill, setting harmonic intonation of bridge and proper string installation are simple skills to aquire and the concepts behind them easily understood. It really helps to understand and appreciate your instrument.

Even a klutz can master this, if learned correctly. From there it is a small step to saddle and nut slotting and fret polishing. There are so many good sources available now to learn this and it is easy. As a card carrying Skinflint, the dough I saved was reason enough. It saved my ass so many times when touring that I never employed a personal tech or used one even if the band made one available.

Mostly though, it's rewarding and quickly mastered, if learned correctly and it's not hard.

I have always wanted to learn more about basic set ups and adjustments and pickup swaps and common stuff that I should know and be competent in . There are plenty of resources available such as Stew Mac and Dan Erlwine and videos and stuff .

Last edited: