• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup Issues

Sams

Hey all.

Just put a set of mid 60's pat # pickups in my 71 lp. Seems to me like everything is installed correctly, but the bridge pickup keeps going in and out. Kind of scratchy and cant seem to keep connected.

Wondering what this might be. Do I have to take it to get looked at? I'd prefer to fix it myself.

All input greatly appreciated.

duaneflowers

Hey all.

Just put a set of mid 60's pat # pickups in my 71 lp. Seems to me like everything is installed correctly, but the bridge pickup keeps going in and out. Kind of scratchy and cant seem to keep connected.

Wondering what this might be. Do I have to take it to get looked at? I'd prefer to fix it myself.

All input greatly appreciated.

MIght be a cold solder joint... that is the first thing I'd check (pots and switch)

au_rick

and don't count out the selector switch as being the problem :salude

somebodyelseuk

Also, make sure there's no chance any of the braided cables are shorting anywhere, including loose strands.
Another thing, probably not relevant, but I had an issue once with a shielded cavity and components shorting when the pots were tightened down.