• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wildwood Spec Custombucker Specs? Looking for clarity and chime

RocknRollShakeUp

Hi y’all!

I’ve found conflicting info on this.

Can anyone tell me what the specs on the WW custombuckers are?

Wind pattern: mismatched coils?
DC Resistance: I’ve seen people cite anything from 7.13 to 8.0k, can they vary that much?
Potting: I think these are potted, yes? I’d likely go light potting to flash potting, not sure yet.
Magnet: almost sure it’s an A3, correct?

Lastly which makers make a similar pickup?

Assuming a vintage style harness with 500k pots and 50s wiring, which specs would give great clarity and top end chime, especially with the controls rolled off, to the “tele on steroids” thing when pushing the signal?

For reference I’m mainly a bridge and middle position type player, I rarely play on the neck pickup...it’s weird it’s like it’s against my intrinsic nature or something :##

RocknRollShakeUp

OK, never mind my other questions regarding recommended pickups, but does anyone have the specs of the Wildwood Customerbuckers?

renderit

I have several sets in guitars I have bought from them but I'll be damned if I know the specs.

They are underwound by their claim is all I know.

I have not noticed tons of difference between them and regular Custombuckers other than they are a tad more woody when all the way up and a bit more clear when the volume is rolled off.

But not so much that it is really all that different.

I actually spend more time on the neck, rarely on both and a bit on the bridge.

They are potted I believe.

Magnets?

Pretty sure they got 'em.

I know this is not much help, but I hated to see your question go unanswered at all.

If you need seering piano like cleans look at the Lollar Imperials. They will get you there.

RocknRollShakeUp

I have several sets in guitars I have bought from them but I'll be damned if I know the specs.

They are underwound by their claim is all I know.

I have not noticed tons of difference between them and regular Custombuckers other than they are a tad more woody when all the way up and a bit more clear when the volume is rolled off.

But not so much that it is really all that different.

I actually spend more time on the neck, rarely on both and a bit on the bridge.

They are potted I believe.

Magnets?

Pretty sure they got 'em.

I know this is not much help, but I hated to see your question go unanswered at all.

If you need seering piano like cleans look at the Lollar Imperials. They will get you there.

Thank you very much for chiming in, forgive the pun, kind sir.

I posted the same question over at the other LP site, and crickets!

I guess nobody really knows except the wizards at Gibson.

I purchased around 7 various guitars from Wildwood over the years, so maybe they'll give me some kind of answer if shoot them an email, so I may try that, but I don't want to take their time if I'm not actively shopping for something.

Thanks for the tip on Lollar Imperials, I shall consider them!

Best Wishes!

renderit

No problem.

Happy hunting.

Another set I have which does give decent cleans and kinda thumps you in the chest is the DiMarzio Anniversary set.

I have them on the guitar below.

They are not as clean and chimey as the Lollars though. More push.

36333228881_3ab2ed7995_3k.jpg

RocknRollShakeUp

No problem.

Happy hunting.

Another set I have which does give decent cleans and kinda thumps you in the chest is the DiMarzio Anniversary set.

I have them on the guitar below.

They are not as clean and chimey as the Lollars though. More push.

36333228881_3ab2ed7995_3k.jpg

Thanks!
Is that a 336? Very nice, including the double cream action.

Someone else was also telling me about the DiMarzio 36th anniversary pickups being pretty bright ...but it does sound like the Imperials may be more what I’m looking for based on your description.

And as if we need more choices in PAF land, I just found out that K Line is now winding PAFs and they do offer underwound sets as well, unpotted. I liked what I heard on a clean sound sample I have to say, and at $150 per pickup, that’s not too bad of a risk, although resale may not be great for those at this point.

Well I’m not in a hurry on this, and may just contemplate for a while.

renderit

Thanks!
Is that a 336? Very nice, including the double cream action.

Someone else was also telling me about the DiMarzio 36th anniversary pickups being pretty bright ...but it does sound like the Imperials may be more what I’m looking for based on your description.

And as if we need more choices in PAF land, I just found out that K Line is now winding PAFs and they do offer underwound sets as well, unpotted. I liked what I heard on a clean sound sample I have to say, and at $150 per pickup, that’s not too bad of a risk, although resale may not be great for those at this point.

Well I’m not in a hurry on this, and may just contemplate for a while.

That is a limited run 59' 335 (back in 2014 or 15) called the "lemon burst" from the custom shop. It actually came with the DiMarzios in it.

Firepie Uno

I just got a new 64 Custom Shop SG Wildwood spec. It’s an incredible instrument.

it has the WW Spec humbuckers: AIII magnets, unpotted, both pickups measure about 7.3K.

I usually like humbuckers with a little more “oomph,” but I’m really enjoying the clarity of these right now.

RocknRollShakeUp

I just got a new 64 Custom Shop SG Wildwood spec. It’s an incredible instrument.

it has the WW Spec humbuckers: AIII magnets, unpotted, both pickups measure about 7.3K.

I usually like humbuckers with a little more “oomph,” but I’m really enjoying the clarity of these right now.

Sweet!
Congratulations!
7.3k is lower than I even thought they’d be! I know resistance doesn’t tell the whole story but that’s probably where the clarity and chime comes from I’m guessing.
Thank you very much for the info!
Oh yeah and let’s see a picture! Of the guitar that is !

Last edited:

EXPLRGAB

Of course, I read posts about the Wildwood Spec Custom Buckers having recently acquired a 2019 R8 from the aforementioned guitar emporium.
I have read all manner of reviews. Throbak and Lollar among others seem to have a loyal following......to tell the truth, i think the guitar is in every way inspirationally stunning to include the pickups. I have heard one review say the WW SPEC CBs are sterile sounding...another championed their clarity and chime...YES I KNOW SUBJECTIVE.....based on so many factors..terms of reference.....style of music......amp....where you play and who you play with......I play from clean to money for nothing. So far i could not characterize the music emanating from my feeble efforts and the WW SPEC CBs as sterile......plus the Throbaks are pricy......In regard to all of this, until i find out demonstrably different.......i am sticking with ignorance is bliss and cheaper too...so there is that.

El Gringo

Of course, I read posts about the Wildwood Spec Custom Buckers having recently acquired a 2019 R8 from the aforementioned guitar emporium.
I have read all manner of reviews. Throbak and Lollar among others seem to have a loyal following......to tell the truth, i think the guitar is in every way inspirationally stunning to include the pickups. I have heard one review say the WW SPEC CBs are sterile sounding...another championed their clarity and chime...YES I KNOW SUBJECTIVE.....based on so many factors..terms of reference.....style of music......amp....where you play and who you play with......I play from clean to money for nothing. So far i could not characterize the music emanating from my feeble efforts and the WW SPEC CBs as sterile......plus the Throbaks are pricy......In regard to all of this, until i find out demonstrably different.......i am sticking with ignorance is bliss and cheaper too...so there is that.

You would be very surprised at how good the ThroBak's are . I mean like blow your mind good , yes they cost , but they are so worth it . Comparing any incarnation of Custombuckers if they are wax potted or not , if they are underwound or a hotter wind is no comparison to ThroBak . I mean we are talking bland vanilla - flavors exploding everywhere across the board . Seriously worth the $

goldtop0

I'm with you and the CBs.
I've used PAFs, T-Tops, Burstbuckers and '57 Classics plus have a couple of sets of Timbuckers set aside right now, however the CBs do it for me, I've had them in 3 guitars since '13 and like them a lot, best of the production pups I've encountered since the early T-Tops imo.
The Tims are just great pups and very juicy, I put these in and out from time to time, but these stock CBs I can't fault.
Would like to try the WW spec ones some day.

EXPLRGAB

El Gringo...Appreciate your feedback....the Throbaks enjoy a very good rep by all accounts and a commensurate price of admission...and you like them...I am sure they are very high quality and obviously they work for you...I believe your endorsement is well-founded .....I heard the guy from Blackberry Smoke (very talented imo) extoll the virtue of GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP (GCS) guitars and specifically his R9 in a rig rundown. That sentiment seems to be quite universal when describing late model GCS guitars across the board....when asked whether he had replaced the pick-ups in his R9..which many people seem to do.....he said no..he was very happy with the GCS custom buckers..... I also believe his endorsement is well founded....he did however mention other pick-ups makers products in regard to other guitars. He is primarily a P90 guy so maybe he is not as much a humbucker connoisseur as Throbak devotees.
I can report that I bought a LP Custom in 1971..brand new in NYC.....I think it was a 1969 vintage. (it was stolen)...my 2019 R8 is stunningly superior in every way and I am very happy with it..I play clean a lot and the guitar sounds great in that capacity and when pushed delivers a musical and searing tone...At this point...I believe my impression of the Wildwood Spec CBs is well founded. If ..Further On Up the Road...I should investigate pick-up options..I will contact you here.... to discuss the finer points....as the designated Throbak Subject Matter Expert (SME). At this point, I agree with goldtopO and consider his assessment well founded. At the end of the day..we are all discussing the intricacies of GCS guitars which .... all things considered....are some of the best ever produced. In seeking tone solutions ..i posit...It is a good problem to have...thankyou.

Bulwark

I’ve got a pair of Wildwood spec custombuckers that I pulled out of my 2018 Tom Murphy’d ‘59. When I spoke w/ the salesperson leading up to the purchase, he said they were better front-to-back matched on output and a pinch underwound for more “harmonic life” I think he said.

Due to their year, they’re definitely wax potted, though newer ones may not be. I’ve read them both on my multimeter, and they come in at an extraordinarily precise 8.00k, neck and bridge both. In all likelihood, the magnets are A3, though I’ve no idea how to measure that for myself.

I’ve now had those, PG-102 (w/o the magnet flip) ThroBaks, and Doyle Coils through that instrument.

Doyle Coils are without a doubt the clearest, though perhaps to an extent that is almost sterile. The neck pickup far outshines the bridge pickup as well, so given what you’ve said about where you spend your 3-way switch time, these definitely aren’t for you.

The wildwood spec ones were great, they just had that, “I have a wool blanket over me b/c I’m wax potted” thing. If it weren’t for that, I probably would’ve left them in.

The PG-102 had the most impressive character, I just think maybe they were a pinch too much output for me personally (8.2k in the neck, like 8.6k or so in the bridge?) with A5 magnets. If they were an actor and I was a director, I’d say, “That’s the flavor I wanted exactly, just give me... less.”

Hope that helps you on your journey. I think ThroBak has the lightning-in-a-bottle right now, it’s just a matter of choosing the right flavor for you.

EXPLRGAB

I’ve got a pair of Wildwood spec custombuckers that I pulled out of my 2018 Tom Murphy’d ‘59. When I spoke w/ the salesperson leading up to the purchase, he said they were better front-to-back matched on output and a pinch underwound for more “harmonic life” I think he said.

I had not heard that description from Wildwood or in print til now.....I concur.

duaneflowers

I have a couple sets and when I asked Wildwood about it all they could say was that they are a bit underwound for more clarity. :salude

Bulwark

I have a couple sets and when I asked Wildwood about it all they could say was that they are a bit underwound for more clarity. :salude

Any chance you’ve measured their DC resistances? Only other pair I’ve seen measured was one that went up on Reverb.com a while back, they too were 8k on the nose.

somebodyelseuk

Due to their year, they’re definitely wax potted, though newer ones may not be. I’ve read them both on my multimeter, and they come in at an extraordinarily precise 8.00k, neck and bridge both. In all likelihood, the magnets are A3, though I’ve no idea how to measure that for myself.

Hmm? I have a bog standard 2019 60th Anni R9. The only difference to those are mine aren't potted - 7.98k bridge, 8.02k neck.