• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1959 Gibson ES-345 owned by Hank Garland and used with Elvis - See Video!

marshall1987

1959 Gibson ES-345 owned by Hank Garland and used with Elvis - See Video!

Very nice touch...Hank is using a little slap-back echo. His 345 sounds very pure and clean. I wonder what strings he is using?

:salude

<iframe width="765" height="574" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XDSr_eGX6Wo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

brandtkronholm

That guitar happens to be for sale at this moment:
(The Reverb listing makes not of the video posted above.)
https://reverb.com/item/33696542-1959-gibson-es-345-owned-by-hank-garland-and-used-with-elvis-see-video

Modified with a sideways vib:

y9kxon5ao6zt45y8dy8z.jpg

marshall1987

I could see this drawing the interest of Hank Garland fans....but begs the question, at what additional premium $$ over a non-celebrity '59 ES-345?

I wonder if this is one of the rare, highly collectable 1959 "First Rack" ES-345s that are highly coveted? :)

Unbound Dot Neck

$67k ? Buy his Jazz Winds cd
:jim

I could see this drawing the interest of Hank Garland fans....but begs the question, at what additional premium $$ over a non-celebrity '59 ES-345?

I wonder if this is one of the rare, highly collectable 1959 "First Rack" ES-345s that are highly coveted? :)

El Gringo

marshall 1987 , that was so awesome to just view and listen to this as this was a pick me upper on a other wise most busy day . Fantastic playing and such a sweet tone that looked like it was the neck PAF pickup . I just loved that !

El Gringo

I just checked out the Reverb listing and noticed there wasn't a word if the instrument still has the original PAF pickups ?

OKGuitar

Overpriced, although not by as much as it was a short while ago. I think they started at $250K. Years ago, the Garland family pitched it as a prototype but the serial is much later than many that I've had. The description is lacking in detail. I'm really not a celebrity guitar guy. Unless it was owned by a Beatle, I could care less who owned or played it. So, I'm not the guy to assess its value to a collector of celebrity guitars. As a 345, it could well be a first rack-it's early enough but without an FON, there's no way to know for certain unless they show a photo of the bridge pickup rout. And, by the way, first racks aren't rare. There are over 100 of them-it's really the first three racks that are referred to as first racks. The defining feature is the smaller rout for the choke and the short leg PAF. It's probably a perfectly good guitar-early 345's usually are. Put a stop tail on it and cut the price to $18K or so and it will sell.

samsdad

Overpriced, although not by as much as it was a short while ago. I think they started at $250K. Years ago, the Garland family pitched it as a prototype but the serial is much later than many that I've had. The description is lacking in detail. I'm really not a celebrity guitar guy. Unless it was owned by a Beatle, I could care less who owned or played it. So, I'm not the guy to assess its value to a collector of celebrity guitars. As a 345, it could well be a first rack-it's early enough but without an FON, there's no way to know for certain unless they show a photo of the bridge pickup rout. And, by the way, first racks aren't rare. There are over 100 of them-it's really the first three racks that are referred to as first racks. The defining feature is the smaller rout for the choke and the short leg PAF. It's probably a perfectly good guitar-early 345's usually are. Put a stop tail on it and cut the price to $18K or so and it will sell.

Its a very Sad Story about what happened to the owner of this guitar Looks like he was on his way to great things
but was cut short by an auto accident maybe caused by a bullet being fired at his car to kill him than electro shock therapy
and his career over if thats all true you could not make up such a story Maybe That guitar belongs in a Museum

deytookerjaabs

This is sort of thing that happens, certain country stars from way back their kin folk or some of the dealers kind of assess their gear as if their history is as big today as their lives were then. IMO, it's much more niche than that and guys who appreciate a fella like Garland are more often than not the players themselves and only a small portion of those have the big bucks.

Some of this player grade type classic country picker or session gear makes it's rounds as hand-me-downs around other players down the line, sometimes at really good prices. It's interesting to see the expectations of Garland's gear meeting reality and I'm surprised it didn't just pass hands with a few phone calls versus trying to maximize market value. Now that it's out there the highest bidder might as well sit on their hands and watch the price go down further.

marshall1987

I guess I'm among the minority of posters who were swayed more by the above video of Hank Garland playing "Sugarfoot Rag" vs. the Reverb listing for his former ES-345, and whether or not prior celebrity ownership was worthy of the $$ markup.:lol

IMO Hank's playing on Sugarfoot Rag is infinitely more satisfying to the ears, than the ubiquitous, cliche' -laden, hackneyed Van Halen-esque formula that emphasizes speed and pyrotechnics, at the expense of pleasing melodic picking.

The only explanation I can conjure up is ...the eyes have it; i.e., rapid, blurry, visual stimuli excite us more than pure melodic sounds. Who among us even pause for a moment....just to listen to songbirds singing? :jim

Discuss......:lol