• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I'm about to go crazy...PLEASE HELP

norcalpiper

Apologies in advance as I'm this might not be the right area to post this. I have '61 Les Paul (SG) VOS that has a ghost sound thatis driving me crazy. It happens on the high E string around the 9th fret to the 14th. It sound like a faint “shhhhhh” combined with a faint rattle. I immediately raised the bridge, but still there. I actually pulled the e string out of the slot, and rested it on the bridge. Still there.

it SWEAR it sounds like its coming from under the neck pick up. I unstrung the guitar and pulled the pick up out. It seemed fine. I Shook it...nada. i then checked the bridge, because when i googled this, a lot of people have trouble with the saddle wire. This guitar does not have the wire. All the saddles pop freely out. Oh yeah, I also made sure that the string angle to the tailpiece did not touch the bridge. I could slide a business card under the string and the bridge.

i then took off all the knobs and made sure the washer and nut were tight. They were fin. I took off the pick guard. Weird sound still happens with it off. I took off the back plate and in spected. Everything was wired and in place.

i checked all the tuning gear hex nuts. Tight.

This mystery noise does not come through the speaker when playing, but when im not plugged in it’s irritating as all get out. Does ANYONE have an idea what it might be. The sound is also present on the B string and G string when I match the notes its present on the E string. Help....

Big Al

Get over it. The only thing, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS is the sound comming out the speakers. It's an electric solidbody guitar. Why risk gaining a real problem chasing a non issue.

Triplet

Stop tail or floating tailpiece? I've had a couple flaky tailpieces where if the string ball didn't sit just right in the slot it would cause funky buzzing and harmonics.

zhivago

Could it be that one of the pickup covers is rattling?

norcalpiper

Could it be that one of the pickup covers is rattling?

i thouht that also, but if i dampen the pickup cover with my finger and fret the notes and strum with my pinky, the strange brush rattle sound is still there.

norcalpiper

Truss rod is set, but I am now thinking it may be something with it. The sound seems tobe coming from around the neck pup. I've pulled off and the sound still happens. The truss rod is tight, so im not sure how it could be. God thus sux....

VGNut

Try adjusting the Truss Rod Nut just a tad looser or tighter and see if it makes ANY difference at all

rockabilly69

More than once I've tracked a stray buzz to a pot shaft. Play the note then, pull up on each pot shaft, and see if the noise goes away.

Minibucker

Ain’t it the truth.
I recently had an high-note oscillation issue that turned out to be reflections from a room fan. Other folks have had similar sound artifacts from ceiling fans. Fluttering or smearing, technically speaking.

norcalpiper

I recently had an high-note oscillation issue that turned out to be reflections from a room fan. Other folks have had similar sound artifacts from ceiling fans. Fluttering or smearing, technically speaking.

i dont have fans.. its def something internal.

El Gringo

For me if it's an electric then it's designed and meant to be played thru an amp . If I walk past my guitars on there stands sometimes I will run my fingers across the neck as a hello . That's as far as I get to an acoustic/unplugged sound from my Les Paul's . To the OP , if the guitar plays and sounds fine plugged in and Intonates properly , then don't worry about it .