• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mold on tweed amp.

S. Cane

Hello, friends.

It’s the rainy, cold season here in my neck of the woods, and I’m facing a very irritating problem.

My tweed amp is getting covered on green mold. Nothing else in the man cave is, not even the tweed cases or other tolex covered amps.

I tried exposing the amp to direct sunlight for a couple hours, but the mold comes back after a day or two.

What should I do?

thejaf

Dehumidifier.

The find and eliminate the moisture source (if possible).

Don

If the tweed is getting moldy on that amp, then I suspect that the humidity is too high for all of your gear even though you don't have issues now. I highly recommend a dehumidifier. I use one that has a pump so it automatically drains into my plumbing. It's great to never have to empty it.

Aloha_Ark

Is this happening on the grill cloth or the wood? With cloth, I would try to replace it with the gold/brown grill cloth from StewMac. Give it a vintage look by aging it in sunlight for a month. Spray with Scotchguard before mounting it on the speaker panel.

Big Al

There are several formulations available to clean and kill the mold. Do some research and pick accordingly. I would look up a consumer report or other similar data sites. Make sure it is for fabric/wood or metal not concrete. Odor can be a factor so check. I applied and scrubbed it on with a stiff brush. Do not use bleach! As mentioned a dehumidifier is a must.

Okctodd

Lysol will kill it. Cover anything that should not get wet then spray a little Lysol on the nasty bits. Repeat daily until it’s gone. You don’t need to unload a huge sopping puddle, just spray enough knowing that you’re coming back multiple times, maybe twice a day until it’s all good.

MacFangus

Note: If you have a properly sized and working AC system, you should not need a dehumidifier. You need humidity in the air to keep acoustic guitars [and fretboards] from drying-out. I keep our home humidity level at about 55%. I've seen Taylor acoustic tops separate from the body; due to low humidity.

Use 3% hydrogen peroxide and a firm toothbrush on the tweed material, let sit for several hours. You can use vinegar to kill odor. Dry via hair dryer. There are several treatments you can choose from to seal the tweed.

stagbucarpruspe

I agree, a dehumidifier is good advice. Mold appears due to high humidity. In fact, I had a similar problem. And I am sure that you should eliminate the cause of the mold, the only way you can get rid of it. So, you should control indoor moisture. Because mold troubles most often come from high humidity, uncontrolled condensation, and simple and slow plumbing leaks. When I had problems with mold, I called the local mold removal company and they helped me to get rid of it. And I recommend that you do the same.

Last edited:

mingus

I had this issue on some cases I had stored in a closet. I went in there to grab one and was shocked at all the mold growing on them, including a Fender tweed case for my '55 Strat. I used a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water loaded into a spray bottle. I sprayed it on and let it sit for 20-30 seconds and then wiped off. The mold came of easily and hasn't returned. It works great!

F-Hole

Per what Mingus says above, but add a few drops of clove oil and you're set.

Also, dehumidifier is an absolute must have.

agogetr

hope the mold didnt work its way a bit into the tweed, any time ive ever tried to clean tweed it wound up worse than when i started. maybe new laquered tweed wouldnt soak things up as bad. old stuff can be dang near like a sponge

Matthardy

I agree, a dehumidifier is good advice. Mold appears due to high humidity. In fact, I had a similar problem. And I am sure that you should eliminate the cause of the mold, the only way you can get rid of it. So, you should control indoor moisture. Because mold troubles most often come from high humidity, uncontrolled condensation, and simple and slow plumbing leaks. When I had problems with mold, I called the local mold removal company and they helped me to get rid of it. And I recommend that you do the same.
Hello friends, I matt live in Weston, FL! I also struggled with the same molds problem in my house for about 1 year. Also, someone recommends this company ( https://www.proessaywriting.com/term-paper/ ) which was a good decision for students and now all academic problem is almost over. This post made me realize that why do we need a good professional mold remediation expert when we find molds in our new home.

Last edited: