• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Case Historicology

Itsallmuscle

Hey folks. It's been a while since I was a regular here. 8 years at least I'd reckon. It's nice to come back. The forum software is different though (I get the feeling (or maybe just hope) there was some spicy discussion about that).

This forum really shaped the way I think about the internet. I think I found the LPF originally through a websearch where I was looking for information. To this day I still think forums are the best source of information, even if part of that research is having the skills to weed out the "bad" information.

I called Gibson the other day about a serial number. I really thought Gibson would keep more informational records than it appears they do. Either way, it proved to me that this forum is still the best source of information, especially for geek questions that the manufacturer might not think of the "we" guitar-brains do.

So here's my question:

What cases came with which models in which years?

R9's generally came with lifton cases. But when did that start?
R8's came with the black case? When did the case switch from the round custom / historic case to the Gibson Custom logo with the star?

Most specifically, what case should have a 2004 57 Reissue Custom (black beauty) come with?

Just posting is giving me g.a.s... That's normal right?