• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

52 Conversion Recently Sold

Mieko8

Hi, Friends, anyone happen to see this ‘52 conversion that recently sold on Reverb?
I was so tempted to buy it, but the quarantine scared me along with the financial uncertainty. I was curious if any member here is the proud new owner? I had lots of conversations with the seller. He was super nice and we gelled. If he would have allowed me to see it in person, I may have gone to see it and possibly buy it. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind of money without having the chance to play it and hold it and hear it, to be sure it’s a good fit for me. Kudos to the buyer who could afford to take his chances. I hope you are enjoying it. I wish I could have been the one who bought it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1opg5vDa9ngzKcq19

Mieko8

Whoa--sorry you missed it!

Yup, thanks. I didn’t miss it. I watched it for weeks.

I just couldn’t spend the money facing the economic unknown, during this pandemic.

Whoever bought it, is one lucky person!

I usually don’t take interest in conversions but I loved this one.

au_rick

Hi, Friends, anyone happen to see this ‘52 conversion that recently sold on Reverb?
I was so tempted to buy it, but the quarantine scared me along with the financial uncertainty. I was curious if any member here is the proud new owner? I had lots of conversations with the seller. He was super nice and we gelled. If he would have allowed me to see it in person, I may have gone to see it and possibly buy it. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind of money without having the chance to play it and hold it and hear it, to be sure it’s a good fit for me. Kudos to the buyer who could afford to take his chances. I hope you are enjoying it. I wish I could have been the one who bought it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1opg5vDa9ngzKcq19

What was the asking price ?

Aloha_Ark

More importantly, what was the selling price? Reverb is an absolutely bonkers marketplace where sellers periodically offer a 20% discount. Well, folks, the price of the conversion with a 20% discount would have been $14,400. Tempting at that point, just for the pickups and old wood. This does not eliminate the risk of getting a meh tone out of it.
For a buyer in CA, the sales tax upcharge would then be up to $1476. Taxes are killing the vintage market. :bigal

Mieko8

More importantly, what was the selling price? Reverb is an absolutely bonkers marketplace where sellers periodically offer a 20% discount. Well, folks, the price of the conversion with a 20% discount would have been $14,400. Tempting at that point, just for the pickups and old wood. This does not eliminate the risk of getting a meh tone out of it.
For a buyer in CA, the sales tax upcharge would then be up to $1476. Taxes are killing the vintage market. :bigal

I believe his asking price was $16,000. Yes, with tax or without tax it was too rich for my wallet.
I wish I could have afforded to buy it.

Mieko8

Thanks that works!

A tempting example of converting a '52.

I’d be the first to say, don’t alter or convert a 52 LP. Leave it as it was created.
That said, since this one had already been converted, they did a spectacular job.
I wish I could have bought it. I love it.

rialcnis

I'd be curious to know where that Guitar goes next? Or does it stay with the buyer in a collection?

Any guesses?

Mieko8

I'd be curious to know where that Guitar goes next? Or does it stay with the buyer in a collection?

Any guesses?

The seller told me he owned it twice. Sold it, regretted it and then purchased it back again. During the pandemic, he had it on Reverb for a few weeks until it sold. I live near him and asked if I could come check it out in person. I didn’t want to spend that amount of money for a guitar unless I could play it first. He wrote back and claimed to be a celebrity and therefore wouldn’t be comfortable with me coming to his home. Whoever bought it apparently could afford to do so without seeing it in person.

JPP-1

The only conversion i would consider is an original finish goldtop where the sole modification are the pickup routes and pickups and maybe an added Abr-1. Otherwise it’s a refinished highly modded guitar which has no more value to me than a good historic. And that top is hideous afaic. Looks like the guitar has measles

One of these days, this destructive nonsense of harvesting old guitars to create some kind of frankenburst will hopefully be a thing of the past. I wouldn’t trade my brazilian R9s for that thing.

If you want to buy a vintage guitar, buy a proper non modded guitar with its original finish. These guitars are an intact piece of music history and as cool as they come. The ones well priced, should maintain or even increase in value

If you just want a great playing and sounding axe, the current historic Gibsons are as good as any Gibson ever produced. When someone can prove otherwise, send me the memo, until that time, enjoy this new golden age of guitar manufacture. It took a long ass time to finally get here.

Mieko8

The only conversion i would consider is an original finish goldtop where the sole modification are the pickup routes and pickups and maybe an added Abr-1. Otherwise it’s a refinished highly modded guitar which has no more value to me than a good historic. And that top is hideous afaic. Looks like the guitar has measles

One of these days, this destructive nonsense of harvesting old guitars to create some kind of frankenburst will hopefully be a thing of the past. I wouldn’t trade my brazilian R9s for that thing.

If you want to buy a vintage guitar, buy a proper non modded guitar with its original finish. These guitars are an intact piece of music history and as cool as they come. The ones well priced, should maintain or even increase in value

If you just want a great playing and sounding axe, the current historic Gibsons are as good as any Gibson ever produced. When someone can prove otherwise, send me the memo, until that time, enjoy this new golden age of guitar manufacture. It took a long ass time to finally get here.

I was never supportive of the idea of desecrating those early 50s Les Pauls. Personally, I’d never do it. However, in some cases, the damage is done, by someone else. I usually don’t pay any attention to them, but that one caught my eye and I thought they did a fantastic job. I have several modern custom shops, and I’ve owned vintage bursts. I think the new custom shop Les Pauls are great. If you love those original bursts but can’t afford one, the new custom shop Les Pauls are the next best thing.

JPP-1

I agree, everyone's taste is different. I guess my point in a circuitous way is saying that now you'll have some dry powder for maybe a better example or even an all original P90 gold top.

I had been looking far and wide for a nice vintage Goldtop or ES335 and happened upon a beautiful excellent condition all original 1962 SGLP. There were a few guitars I reluctantly passed on including a very nice 1953 Goldtop but in hindsight I'm glad I did. Keep looking, you'll find the one.

I was never supportive of the idea of desecrating those early 50s Les Pauls. Personally, I’d never do it. However, in some cases, the damage is done, by someone else. I usually don’t pay any attention to them, but that one caught my eye and I thought they did a fantastic job. I have several modern custom shops, and I’ve owned vintage bursts. I think the new custom shop Les Pauls are great. If you love those original bursts but can’t afford one, the new custom shop Les Pauls are the next best thing.

Last edited: