• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy Page Neck PAF

KDunn99

I just received a Manlius T-Top to pair with my paf clone in the neck and MAN that t top sounds great and really gives that middle position quack! (though unfortunately, it seems to be wound reverse from most pickups so I had to flip my neck magnet to keep the pickups in phase) Even though it reads 7.6k, it has a lot of output compared to the higher DCR neck pickup and has amazing mids and bite without being shrill in any way.

Anyway, my neck pickup reads about 8.3 and originally came with a long A5 magnet which had high end but also was quite boomy in the lows. When I got the T-Top, I put a long A2 mag from a
Gibson burstbucker hoping that if adjusted correctly, it could sound great. But its simply too round, has no treble and all bass no matter where the pickup height or pole pieces are set. So instead of buying a while new pickup (which I cannot afford right now), my question is, what are some magnet options that could give me the brightness of an A5 without the boomy low end.

These are two examples of how I want my neck pickup to sound. I believe the Manlius T-Top, at least the one I have, perfectly nails the bridge position tones.

https://youtu.be/TvG4VGnjpsg

https://youtu.be/0Az-TuYb4h0

KDunn99

I feel I should mention I'm using a 2017 les paul traditional that has been converted to 59 spec with a vintage wiring harness and vintage correct hardware including converting the Nashville studs to a proper abr post setup

trumtv0730

Assuming you've already measured your pots and everything's at least 500K (ThroBak suggests 516-565k for "true-to-vintage")...maybe A4? Tim Mills from Bare Knuckle had Page's Number One in some years ago. He said his Mule in the neck and Riff Raff in the bridge was identical tonally. The Mule is A4, ergo...

Best of luck in your endeavors

Last edited:

Sol

Given the specifications of your pickups,which seem really complimentary, can you elaborate on what you mean by 'boomy in the lows,' as regards your alnico 5 neck pup?
Its hard to give the good advice you seek without the detail needed to reach a reliable conclusion.

The sound of your neck pickup is dependent on far more than the alnico type.. An alnico5 with a low charge is a very different creature to the same magnet fully charged for example..The vol and tone pot values are equally impactful on the tone your going to hear.

Voicing a guitar is often a slow process.. It takes a little time to get just right, but oh boy is it worth the effort ! Your on the best forum, with the most knowledgeable folks in all things Les Paul, take full advantage.