• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'59 neck profile vs 2019-2020 '50s Standards

neileusmaximus

Hi!. This is my first post on the forum. I'm on the hunt for the perfect les paul for me. I owned a 2019 60s standard and i didn't like the neck. I ended up selling it and waiting to find the right one. I found that i absolutely loved the '50s standard neck and prefer a fatter neck like my 2013 Epiphone les paul Traditional pro. Does anyone have any experience with both the new 50s standards and hoe they compare to the '59 reissue neck profile? Maybe even compared to the '58s. I would honestly consider a 59 reissue but i have never seen one at the shop. I dont know if the necks are thicker, fatter or slimmer than the 50s.

Thanks!

Tim Plains

Do you have a caliper? They're cheap enough that every guitarist should have one. Measure your Epi and then use websites like Mark's Guitar Loft that list neck thicknesses. Cuts out some of the guesswork.

goldtop0

Hi!. This is my first post on the forum. I'm on the hunt for the perfect les paul for me. I owned a 2019 60s standard and i didn't like the neck. I ended up selling it and waiting to find the right one. I found that i absolutely loved the '50s standard neck and prefer a fatter neck like my 2013 Epiphone les paul Traditional pro. Does anyone have any experience with both the new 50s standards and hoe they compare to the '59 reissue neck profile? Maybe even compared to the '58s. I would honestly consider a 59 reissue but i have never seen one at the shop. I dont know if the necks are thicker, fatter or slimmer than the 50s.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.........and the fascination of finding the right LP.
As Tim says, some calipers and measure at the 1st and 12 frets as some dealers advertise these measurements, if not, ask them the question.
Also a C shape or D shape neck makes a difference(D shape has 'shoulders' and fills out your left hand a bit more), C shape is what you get with most LPs as I've found.
All the best with the hunt:2cool

ununtrium

The shape of the neck can always be tailored to your preference as long as a luthier has a neck that is thick enough to lend itself to re-shaping. So if you found an instrument that is a keeper in all other areas, I would suggest going down that road. Then, on the other hand, I tend to keep my guitars rather than "buy-and-sell-until-the-PERFECT-fit-comes-along". You can't change the basic tone of the wood and general character of an instrument. Anything else is fair game for alterations and mods.