• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2015 L.P. And The Nut Width

AdvenJack

Hello To All,

Other than posting in the "new guy" area, this is post 1 for me. I'm hoping to learn details about the 2015 L.Ps. regarding NUT WIDTH.
I've read somewhere that all 2015 Gibson guitars were built with wider nut widths than had been the standard. (1 11/16ths inch) I read
that in 2015 they were all 1 3/4 inch wide nuts but, that the string space was kept as it had been in prior years. I am hoping to learn
what's true and what is not. I'd like more finger room, and if I needed to have a 2015 nut replaced with a new nut that had slots a smidge
further from one another I'd do it. I really like my (non-Gibson) acoustic guitar's extra room that's due to the wider nut that it has! :eek:la

ArthurS

All 2015 model year Gibson USA Les Pauls (and SGs, I think) had the wider 1 3/4" nut. This only goes for the regular production models; Custom Shop guitars had normal nut width. String spacing on the 'wide nut' models was indeed normal.

You can recognise guitars with the wider nut by the zero-fret nut and the different "Les Paul" signature on the headstock:

LPS15H3CH1_NF_13.jpg

In following years, Gibson made the "Les Paul HP" (also with a zero-fret nut) that had a nut width that was slightly smaller than the 2015 models, but still slightly wider than standard.

AdvenJack

Hi ArthurS,

Thank you for your quick reply that includes those informational facts! :eek:la

Grog

I have a 2015 Les Paul Studio Deluxe. The nut measures 1.7 so it must be 1 11/16ths. (1.6875)

shines2225

Hello To All,

Other than posting in the "new guy" area, this is post 1 for me. I'm hoping to learn details about the 2015 L.Ps. regarding NUT WIDTH.
I've read somewhere that all 2015 Gibson guitars were built with wider nut widths than had been the standard. (1 11/16ths inch) I read
that in 2015 they were all 1 3/4 inch wide nuts but, that the string space was kept as it had been in prior years. I am hoping to learn
what's true and what is not. I'd like more finger room, and if I needed to have a 2015 nut replaced with a new nut that had slots a smidge
further from one another I'd do it. I really like my (non-Gibson) acoustic guitar's extra room that's due to the wider nut that it has! :eek:la

2015 Guitars with the wider board usually have the brass nut. They made many other Traditionals and Standards with the 1 11/16" nut in 2015. I have a 2015 Traditional with the 1 11/16" nut and have seen on Reverb and in stores many other 2015's with the "historic" width. In any given year Gibson is anything but consistent with specs. Same with the infamous 2012 sandwich fretboards. Some had them, even Historics, some didn't.

AdvenJack

Hi Shines2225,

Thanks for that info. Good stuff for me to dig deeper into.
I'll be looking up "sandwich fretboard" for certain.

Last edited:

Big Al

Hey fellas, the confusion is the neck width was increased but not gggthe nut width, and consequently the string spread and spacing, stayed the same 1 11/16 inch width all Les Pauls have always been. That includes the wide neck 2015. The adjustable zero fret metal nut was still a standard 1 11/16ths inch.

Lots of info in thread archive, this was much discussed and there even are mods to bone and upgrade replacement ideas for tinker types.

Last edited:

AdvenJack

Hello Big All,

Thanks for contributing to my growing base of info! You all are a friendly bunch! :eek:la