• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone seeing 2015 Cherry Sunburst True Historics fading yet?

Bruce R

2015 True Historic models saw an attempt at how Gibson's Les Paul models were constructed & finished as they were in the 50's. Since this was the case, I am curious if anyone has seen any of the "Heritage Cherry" sunburst models released since 2015 showing any signs of the red fading out yet?

I have never personally cared for the bright cherry ("tomato soup") sunburst, but am looking at a 2015 TH with this finish. This one is still is cherry in appearance, which should tell me something, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen theirs fade.

Last edited:

Big Al

Fading occures, as it does on 50's guitars with prolonged expousure to direct sunlight. Most 50's Bursts I saw in the 70's were still cherry. Tomato Soup red is a post mid 60 color. Buy one of the gazillion pre faded finish lemon or honey finished ones or fade it yourself. They all fade in sunlight over time.

P.A.F

I have a lemon burst TH and it has faded as well, if I remove the poker chip I can see the dark shade underneath, back and sides have faded almost to natural colour. so I can say, yes, they fade

El Gringo

I think Gibson Custom really got it right with the really vibrant deep cherry red sunburst on the TH's in 2015 . I keep seeing them pop up on reverb and really love that shade of Burst !

wolowski007

I have a 2016 R8 in lemonburst, and I managed to get the back and sides to fade from bright red to a mellow brown by leaving it outside in the sun.

Big Al

I think Gibson Custom really got it right with the really vibrant deep cherry red sunburst on the TH's in 2015 . I keep seeing them pop up on reverb and really love that shade of Burst !

I agree.

garywright

I have a 2016 R8 in lemonburst, and I managed to get the back and sides to fade from bright red to a mellow brown by leaving it outside in the sun.

how many hours do you think you suntanned it ? ..I ask as I have a 2k r9 with a faded brown back and recently had the neck reshaped and it was shot in cherry ..I want to fade the neck to match the body

Arnold M.

how many hours do you think you suntanned it ? ..I ask as I have a 2k r9 with a faded brown back and recently had the neck reshaped and it was shot in cherry ..I want to fade the neck to match the body

there is no definitive answer to this question in regards to hours needed in the sun .. variables would be time of day, altitude above sea level and proximity to the equator ... but it is easily done, I own A TH and they fade real well

garywright

there is no definitive answer to this question in regards to hours needed in the sun .. variables would be time of day, altitude above sea level and proximity to the equator ... but it is easily done, I own A TH and they fade real well
yes..I’m sure there’s plenty of variables..was asking Him how long it took his to fade

Bruce R

Artificial fading is highly unlikely and not recommended.

I just had a wonderful, lengthy conversation with perhaps one of the most knowledgeable Les Paul Reissue dealers in the country. When asked about the fading potential of Historics/Custom Shop (even 2015 True Historics and on) guitars he based his answer on his understanding of Gibson's construction methods & materials of the 50's versus their modern day counterparts. Basically, the dyes used in today's instrument still will not be prone to fade as those used during that period.

wolowski007

I don't remember exactly, it took several days, for a few hours each day. I had to reposition it as the sun moved across the sky, to try and get the sides and cutout to fade. There are still some spots that are redder than others, especially on the edges where the back meets the side and on the headstock.

El Gringo

Artificial fading is highly unlikely and not recommended.

I just had a wonderful, lengthy conversation with perhaps one of the most knowledgeable Les Paul Reissue dealers in the country. When asked about the fading potential of Historics/Custom Shop (even 2015 True Historics and on) guitars he based his answer on his understanding of Gibson's construction methods & materials of the 50's versus their modern day counterparts. Basically, the dyes used in today's instrument still will not be prone to fade as those used during that period.

My 2014 R9 Factory Burst was getting direct sunlight from early morning until mid afternoon and the top has faded and the mahogany around the headstock wings faded from a red to light brown . So I moved it and redid the venetian blinds .

Lebond

My 2015 TH59 hasn't faded at all on its top which is a good thing as I like it the way it is.
The underside of its neck however has turned a reddy brown colour through playing it.

1525865167161.jpg

garywright

I don't remember exactly, it took several days, for a few hours each day. I had to reposition it as the sun moved across the sky, to try and get the sides and cutout to fade. There are still some spots that are redder than others, especially on the edges where the back meets the side and on the headstock.

Thanks..I just now saw this

AA00475Bassman

Any tried a big microwave ?
0hpFMWA.jpg
[/IMG]