• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Guitars and humidity.

jrgtr42

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their guitars with high humidity?
I'm not talking about acoustics that are, we all know, very sensitive to humidity changes, but electrics.
Not even fret sprout and such, but the sound of the guitar.
The reason I ask, we've had some really high humidity for the past week or so.
I was playing one of my guitars, it's been a couple weeks since I picked that one up, and the sound was almost muffled, like the tone pot was
most of the way down. This guitar is a bit darker than most of my others, but nothing like this.
I plugged a couple others in and they sounded almost normal. I haven't changed any settings on amp or effects.
This one has fairly new strings, there hasn't been any issues with it before this.
I suppose over time, I've had guitars that don't sound right that day for some reason but haven't figured anything out about why.

johnnyslim

For me, I love low pressure systems and rainy days. My LP's get more slinky feeling and take on a smoother/richer tone. I might say a bit more organic tone. Whatever it is I notice it, hear it and the guitar just feels different in a good way. Some hate gigs on rainy nights but I dig them.

renderit

If you notice a change in sound in one humid day I would suggest filling the pores and holes and putting finish on that beast.

I was not aware of any use of sponge instead of mahogany.

Just sayin'...

JPP-1

It wouldn’t surprise me that there is some change. Anyone who has had to repeatedly tune their guitar during times of increased humidity fluctuation will understand the affect humidity can have on their guitar. It would be interesting to see if a very accurate scale could detect any weight change to a guitar during dry conditions vs humid conditions.

For awhile I wondered why guitars I played seem to sound better and less stiff the more I played them. I thought it was just my imagination but then on further consideration perhaps continuous breaking in of the nut and possibly the saddles could contribute to the increase in resonance and playability I noticed. Point being, while our imagination can certainly play tricks on us, that doesn’t discount that some actual measurable phenomena may be occurring that could actually substantiate what we think we feel and hear.

deytookerjaabs

Guitar or not, humidity and temp affects sound wave propagation. I think it goes:

Increase Temp = Increase Velocity
Increase Humidity = Increase Velocity
Increase Density = Decrease Velocity
Wind Direction = Velocity

So, at the hair splitting level we're probably talkin' here I suppose there's some effect. Though the mind & body can be clouded by the presence of schwetty ballz.

Thundermtn

There's a difference in mine for sure.

Enough so that I ran my relief as low as I can get for dry winter indoors playing. Once I'm outdoors with 75%+ humidity they jump from the normal .007-.008 up to around .012.

We played a show once on top of a house boat in August. No shade with 90%+ humididty. All the guitars went crazy. They react differetly though, just depends on the individual guitar how much.

jrgtr42

If you notice a change in sound in one humid day I would suggest filling the pores and holes and putting finish on that beast.

I was not aware of any use of sponge instead of mahogany.

Just sayin'...

Lol...
It was a solid week of humidity...
My acoustics will go nuts if I leave them out for a day, but that's to be expected.

au_rick

Will affect strings too.
Can't remember which bio / doco it was in but John Entwistle reportedly changed his strings between soundcheck and the gig due to Roger's on-stage dehumidifier.

J T

I have two dehumidifiers running set at fifty percent where I keep my guitars. My guitars seem happy. I get to dump buckets of water twice a day.

renderit

I know the weather change effects my ears.

That and I believe the humidity (if really bad) will possibly dampen the speaker cones affecting the response from them.
And if the air is heavier there will be some muting.
Solid body guitar?
Strings?
REALLY?
Ain't buyin' it...

somebodyelseuk

Pickups are affected by temperature change, and maybe humidity. The coil wire resistence changes, ie I had a set of Fender CS54s a few years ago that were within spec during the summer and below the low spec during winter. Magnets are said to be affected by humidity, but I think that's a long term change and not necessarily to the detriment of tone.
In terms of wood... most of it is sealed, so moisture content should be fixed, the fingerboard...? If it's oiled, should be OK.
Thing is, the 'Holy Grails' spent most of their lives adapting to the climate they're in. Dehumidifers and air con are relatively new domestic appliances, and not that common outside the US.