• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

M2M 335s?

Minibucker

Received a reply from Gibson Customer Service today, I'd enquired about wanting fatter necks on 335s etc.
He didn't give me any specifics and quoted what we see on a spec rundown on dealer sites, Rounded C and Vintage Rounded C, he added that these shapes were much like I'd described in my email .950 at the 1st and 1.05 12th..........I thought yeah right:hmm
So I reiterated my and others liking fatter necks and politely suggested that CS do a run of same, and maybe check with their worldwide dealer network to see if this would be the go in the marketplace........I assured him that if they did they would be snapped up.
At least I got a reply from G right...........we'll see what happens in future if anything.
Interesting.....that would be worth following.

I might be going to check out a 2016 USA ES-335 next week, see how it feels and may pick it up.

goldtop0

Interesting.....that would be worth following.

I might be going to check out a 2016 USA ES-335 next week, see how it feels and may pick it up.

I'm keen to see the prices of CS guitars in general this year so will note with interest what these look like once they hit the stores in the US.
International prices are scary now so any dramatic increase in the US price will have a detrimental effect on sales for Gibson overseas.

brandtkronholm

As far as finishes, I hear you on that. That's one of the reasons my 'ultra-edition' version would have the spruce top and burst finish like......

01257_01257_tq_detail2.jpg

That makes my knees weak.

+1 If only! The finish/color on the classic era spruce-topped Gibsons is out of this world.

What non big-jazz-box Gibsons are being made with a spruce top? The Johnny A is maple, right? Is/was there a modern reissue ES350 or Byrdland?

Minibucker

+1 If only! The finish/color on the classic era spruce-topped Gibsons is out of this world.

What non big-jazz-box Gibsons are being made with a spruce top? The Johnny A is maple, right? Is/was there a modern reissue ES350 or Byrdland?
I don't know, I guess it kind of defeats the purpose of having a spruce top if the guitar is a semi with so much wood but less space. But yeah, the color and grain is beautiful with a burst finish. Or a vintage blonde for that matter. And then the gold knobs and nickel hardware against it....just classic elegance, like a Deusenberg.

Minibucker

Way cool! I also had no idea Gibson was offering this. :##

Get one. Now. Report back.
Not many available yet. Yeah I just stumbled across it looking at their site for 335 specs, thought it was a mistake. Priced same as 'regular' 335's, too.

Only thing is I'm not crazy about either of the finishes. The photos of examples I've seen haven't really excited me.

Minibucker

Don't 345s have the varitone knob?
Yes, but as we kind of speculated before it'd be cool to have a model that didn't but kept the other fancier features...which they have done in the past on very rare occasions. Looks like Gibson decided to put out just that.

goldtop0

Yes, but as we kind of speculated before it'd be cool to have a model that didn't but kept the other fancier features...which they have done in the past on very rare occasions. Looks like Gibson decided to put out just that.

That's a good win:2cool

Described as a Rounded C neck profile.............so no joy for me in that regard:dang:hmm

Minibucker

That's a good win:2cool

Described as a Rounded C neck profile.............so no joy for me in that regard:dang:hmm
That's pretty much what I'm look gin for, that 'rounded c', a la bigger than a slim thaler but not huge like the Fat Neck and '59 Historic models I had. But sadly both the finishes their available in don't do it for me, at least those versions of them. But yeah it's great that they offer it. Maybe they listened to me way back then?

Cliff Gress

I'd love a frost blue 345 without the varitone. The chocolate stripe in the binding really sets the top off.

Minibucker

I'd love a frost blue 345 without the varitone. The chocolate stripe in the binding really sets the top off.
Agreed...it's fancy but still understated. Also, these new models have nickel instead of gold, which is also kind of nice and more understated as well.

Aloha_Ark

Boy do I feel like a dunce now.....

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USABRA979/ES-345/Sixties-Cherry

Might be my next guitar.

That's a cool guitar, but we have to wonder how many dealers will order it for basic inventory. At least then, you could buy the lightest weight guitar (assuming fit/finish was the same). I would worry about custom ordering this, with a 20% deposit and no way to back out.

Those of you who have a good relation with Wildwood can ask about their ordering plans, and whether they have submitted their orders for custom shop 335's, etc., yet.

Minibucker

I actually just bought a 2018 Memphis ES-335 DOT from Wildwood. Was supposed to take delivery this week, but I burned my hand on Sunday so pushing it off for a week while I heal so that I can play comfortable and judge if I want to return within the time window. Neck is .86" - .99", so we'll see how she feels.

MGTbGPS.jpg