• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

vintage Les Paul tone territory on my Historic Les Paul

Texas Blues

Are the clips before and after hardware swap?

Al I think the Koolhaus guitar had Throbaks and was later sold.

Dunno' about the guitar in the second clip.

Which sounds like a monster through that Vox.

Only Darren knows for sure.

But like Billy G.

He can be elusive.

And why not.

Billy has made a career out of mastering tone and left ever one guessing.

GotTheSilver

When talking about classic les paul tone.

In modern guitars.

I have to go to this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Suud0wxDB3c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

But that video flick sucks.

Because.

I will never be that good.

And be that cool.

But thats okay.
I believe this Les Paul was made in Canada.

randall

First video was a Gibson 2009 50th anni dark burst with Throbaks, the amp was a 72 50 watt JMP with a 69 bottom cab plugged straight in. Killer rig.

Second video was a Bartlett LP plugged into a Vox AC30 the grid is coming from a Wampler Pinniacle.

Texas Blues

First video was a Gibson 2009 50th anni dark burst with Throbaks, the amp was a 72 50 watt JMP with a 69 bottom cab plugged straight in. Killer rig.

Second video was a Bartlett LP plugged into a Vox AC30 the grid is coming from a Wampler Pinniacle.

Killer rig indeed.

But thats just wire, wood, and 'lectricity.

You are the one that turned it into pure rock n' roll art of the finest 'kine.

Ain't many on this forum.

That can cock strut like you.

But we try.

And we dream.

randall

Ah yes the Cock strut! isn't that truly rock and roll...Last time i checked...in fact, it's more important that the rest of it...

GastonG

Are the clips before and after hardware swap?

Before and after pickups swap only !

I do think now, that waxpotted pickups are like "horse blinders" !
I read that unpotted pickups will usually produce a less veiled and clearer, more open tone !
But maybe it's just my old ears... don't hear that much the upper high frequency anymore.

Cheers Big Al :salude

Last edited:

El Gringo

Before and after pickups swap only !

I do think now, that waxpotted pickups are like "horse blinders" !
I read that unpotted pickups will usually produce a less veiled and clearer, more open tone !
But maybe it's just my old ears... don't hear that much the upper high frequency anymore.

Cheers Big Al :salude

I was able to compare apples and oranges on this subject and to my ears un potted sound thinner to my ears . I actually miss the thicker tone from the wax potting and the wax potting pickups pair up very well with my high gain Marshall 2555X's . I guess it's a trade off of the higher register or frequency versus the mid to lower register of the tonal spectrum . ( look at me using all of these fancy words and terms bright and early on a Monday morning versus a few days later in the week where I will be talking who knows what ? ) ( oh well my ears still work )

GastonG

I was able to compare apples and oranges on this subject and to my ears un potted sound thinner to my ears . I actually miss the thicker tone from the wax potting and the wax potting pickups pair up very well with my high gain Marshall 2555X's . I guess it's a trade off of the higher register or frequency versus the mid to lower register of the tonal spectrum . ( look at me using all of these fancy words and terms bright and early on a Monday morning versus a few days later in the week where I will be talking who knows what ? ) ( oh well my ears still work )

Look at this pix here from 1975 (I was 23...): 2 Marshall head into 3 Marshall cab;:bug playing that '59 Les Paul into that rig for many years !
in1975MagogHighSchool.jpg

my 68 years old ears are still OK for now... just the "very" high frequency that I don't hear !

Gaston :salude

El Gringo

Look at this pix here from 1975 (I was 23...): 2 Marshall head into 3 Marshall cab;:bug playing that '59 Les Paul into that rig for many years !
in1975MagogHighSchool.jpg

my 68 years old ears are still OK for now... just the "very" high frequency that I don't hear !

Gaston :salude

Major compliments !!!!!!!!!!!!!! How super cool is that image ? Mucho Cool !!!!!!!!!!! (are those Plexi's ? )

GastonG

Major compliments !!!!!!!!!!!!!! How super cool is that image ? Mucho Cool !!!!!!!!!!! (are those Plexi's ? )

Those Marshall amps in that pix were bought new in 1971, so not plexi plate on these.
in early 90's, I bought this '67 "small vent" plexi Super Lead 100W ; Mucho Mucho Loud !!!!!!!!!!
67Marshall_SL100W_in2018_l.jpg

this amp is still healthy these days, it is a Major keeper !!!!!!!!!

:salude

goldtop0

When I was a teenager later in the '60s there was only one Marshall stack in the country and used in one of our local and prominent NZ bands.........drool factor extraordinaire:2cool

El Gringo

Those Marshall amps in that pix were bought new in 1971, so not plexi plate on these.
in early 90's, I bought this '67 "small vent" plexi Super Lead 100W ; Mucho Mucho Loud !!!!!!!!!!
67Marshall_SL100W_in2018_l.jpg

this amp is still healthy these days, it is a Major keeper !!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's the amp ! Such a significant and most historical James Marshall amplifier . This amp has been heard and documented on countless major artist albums and such a major sonic part of rock and roll . I bet that it sings so nicely , and if I had to guess you have Greenbacks in your cabs ? ( also the volume has to at least start on 5 and go up to ? to get that "sound" ? ) Major compliments and respect !!!!!!!!!!!!

GastonG

Wow, that's the amp ! Such a significant and most historical James Marshall amplifier . This amp has been heard and documented on countless major artist albums and such a major sonic part of rock and roll . I bet that it sings so nicely , and if I had to guess you have Greenbacks in your cabs ? ( also the volume has to at least start on 5 and go up to ? to get that "sound" ? ) Major compliments and respect !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's really a wonderfull amp indeed ! John Peter Marlow (LPForum member) had Joe Bonamassa "fooling" around with plexis (Marshall shootout) a couple of years ago, among those amps, the 50W plexi had such a great tone that I asked John Peter what was the settings: Volume at 8 (under 10 recommended by Joe) the bass control between 0-2, others at around 6 or 7; then you get into "that" magic sound ! (in the NORMAL channel à la Clapton).

The speakers in my Marshall cab are old Celestion Vintage 30s.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Yeah, it's really a wonderfull amp indeed ! John Peter Marlow (LPForum member) had Joe Bonamassa "fooling" around with plexis (Marshall shootout) a couple of years ago, among those amps, the 50W plexi had such a great tone that I asked John Peter what was the settings: Volume at 8 (under 10 recommended by Joe) the bass control between 0-2, others at around 6 or 7; then you get into "that" magic sound ! (in the NORMAL channel à la Clapton).

The speakers in my Marshall cab are old Celestion Vintage 30s.

Oh my goodness , Celestion Vintage 30's are my absolute favorite speaker and none sound better to my ears , that is pretty wild I tell you . If Joe says volume under 10 that's good enough for me . Very interesting about the bass set between 0-2 , and the others around 6-7 . Very similar to my settings on my 2555X's , with the exception that I run the bass on 7 , but you can't compare the 2555X with the 50 watt Plexi as they are 2 different beasts . Compliments as if it's the settings that Joe says are the Clapton settings who am I to argue with and to take it a step further Clapton is King and my absolute favorite of all time ! Thanks for the info .

brandtkronholm

I like this thread.

When someone claims they have achieved "vintage Les Paul tone" on a modern reissue Les Paul, skepticism is the natural response. How can anyone be so confident? How is it possible to gauge such a claim? (What is "vintage tone", really?)

However, the claims made in this thread are meaningful. The OP's bold claims of vintage tone are supported by his experience. The OP once owned and played a vintage 'Burst (through a proper Marshall too!) in the '70s. I'll trust his ears!

I like this thread.

The '50s Gibsons were great instruments - and the new Gibsons can be too!

Gaston, do you have any recordings of your old 'Burst from the '70s that you can share?

GastonG

Last edited: