• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

EL34 Mullard Output Tube

bhuard75

Has anyone tried these yet in their music amplifier? If so, how do they sound compared to the SED/Winged-C?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

corpse

Can you specify whether you are talking about new or old tubes? The new Mullards don't get rave reviews. New Tung Sols- or even Ruby's are good tubes.

thejaf

Can you specify whether you are talking about new or old tubes? The new Mullards don't get rave reviews. New Tung Sols- or even Ruby's are good tubes.

Yes - If I needed to buy a new EL34, it would be the Ruby EL34BSTR. Big, fat, and awesome is the way to describe the sound.

Big Al

Has anyone tried these yet in their music amplifier? If so, how do they sound compared to the SED/Winged-C?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

That link is a load of bullshit. Try them, they are cheap and really not bad at all. You may like them. The SED/Winged C are not what they were and I gave up on them. You should bias the tubes to make them work/sound best. It does make a difference.

bluesforstevie

Apparently, I no longer know how to post pics to the forum...can anyone help?
photo.php

TM1

The "Winged C" name was bought by Mike Matthews( New Sensor, EH, etc.). They are Not the same tubes as the ones made 15-20 years ago under the Svetlana brand. It's much the same as the Mullard name has Nothing to done with the original Mullard company in Blackburn, Lancs. U.K.
I wouldn't use any new Mullard. I've found them to be inconsisent, even ones that were supposedly tested and matched. They have a very short lifespan and lack in tone, especially compared to the original Mullards(which sound great and last for years, even decades)..

Texas Blues

The "Winged C" name was bought by Mike Matthews( New Sensor, EH, etc.). They are Not the same tubes as the ones made 15-20 years ago under the Svetlana brand. It's much the same as the Mullard name has Nothing to done with the original Mullard company in Blackburn, Lancs. U.K.
I wouldn't use any new Mullard. I've found them to be inconsisent, even ones that were supposedly tested and matched. They have a very short lifespan and lack in tone, especially compared to the original Mullards(which sound great and last for years, even decades)..

I dunno'.

I have a straight set of newer Mullards that Roy Page put in my '79 JMP 2204 back in 2007 or 8.

I can't remember which year exactly.

They still blaze like Godzilla in the destruction channel.

And sound pert dang clean in the low.

Perhaps my mileage has varied.

Deus91

Nice pic....it looks like one of my old pics!! :salude
The first time those boxes were opened was for this pic, so the tubes could
be tested!!!!!!!!
So nice to hear from someone who also appreciates these grand old ladies.
Some more from my collection.
Also have a soft spot for the Dutch. :)
fiU004J.jpg
y3oeHB9.jpg
wjpSYyG.jpg