• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slide with P-90’s

zoommutt

I can’t recall an artist playing slide with P-90’s or minihumbuckers. I’ve seen strats used. I know humbuckers work. How come nobody uses a rickenbacker for slide or a 12 string? Thanks

Keefoman

Johnny Winter played slide on a Firebird, at least. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding other blues players on the tube, playing slide on guitars with P-90s as well. Also easy to find clips of players sliding on an acoustic 12-string.

mdubya

If someone did, it would be Bad To The Bone.

Move over little dog, a hot dog is moving in.

brandtkronholm

If someone did, it would be Bad To The Bone.

Move over little dog, a hot dog is moving in.

:yah

GeorgeThorogood.jpg

Don

I don't consider myself to be an "artist", but here's my "slide" guitar at a gig. It's great for slide.

49965162821_38a736d173_b.jpg

Big Al

THEY SUCK FOR SLIDE! Well, maybe the metal cover type would work better than the plastic cover soapbar, but polepiece screws still get in the way and they are harder to hold. The smaler, metal cover Firebird minihumbucker is easier to hold for playing slide and the solid cover makes for smoother playing.

Still, I don't use pickups for playing slide. I much prefer using brass or glass tubes I can use on a finger.

gmann

I can’t recall an artist playing slide with P-90’s or minihumbuckers. I’ve seen strats used. I know humbuckers work. How come nobody uses a rickenbacker for slide or a 12 string? Thanks

I've seen Joe Walsh use a Ric for slide.

zoommutt

I am sorry to forget George and Johnny. I've seen both. Thanks for informing me about Keith and Joe. Yes, Al, glass and brass are great and I need to form my titles better. Hope you are feeling better each day. That's why this forum is the best. So much info.

renderit

THEY SUCK FOR SLIDE! Well, maybe the metal cover type would work better than the plastic cover soapbar, but polepiece screws still get in the way and they are harder to hold. The smaler, metal cover Firebird minihumbucker is easier to hold for playing slide and the solid cover makes for smoother playing.

Still, I don't use pickups for playing slide. I much prefer using brass or glass tubes I can use on a finger.
:rofl

gibson-r8

Got me Al!,,,

duaneflowers

I agree... in my experience they suck for slide... but in my case so do humbuckers and acoustics! :spabout I do remember Mike Bloomfield playing some electric slide when he played with Butterfield... not sure if that was his Tele or his 54 though. :hmm

OIo2Tnr.jpg

Last edited:

Sol

Nice one Big Al, you had me there for a moment. :salude
If there is an ultimate pick-up for slide its a pickup not yet discovered, due to the fact that every pickup I could name has been used to spectacular effect by some slide virtuoso at some point over the last 40 yrs.

P90,s sound good no matter how you use them. I love them for slide, their single coil 'cut' or 'bite' works for me,
you won't go far wrong IMHO

Big Al

Nice one Big Al, you had me there for a moment. :salude
If there is an ultimate pick-up for slide its a pickup not yet discovered, due to the fact that every pickup I could name has been used to spectacular effect by some slide virtuoso at some point over the last 40 yrs.

P90,s sound good no matter how you use them. I love them for slide, their single coil 'cut' or 'bite' works for me,
you won't go far wrong IMHO

I played a lot of bottleneck guitar over the years. Electric and acoustic. I have a small stable of specific "slide guitars". Dobro's, custom resonator's and tri cone along with lap steels and a very early Bigsby inspired solid Birdseye Maple, (not veneer and just exquisite), Emmons pedal steel. I have quite a few specificly set up and some altered and customised electrics for specific tunings like E or D and G or A for open tuned blues and some for C6 or E7. I have a heavily modified old solid flame maple Ricky solidbody with custom electronics and hardware and my own version of 5 string G tuning with the 5th string set up in an octave pair like a 12 string for a 6 string set up like a 5 string.

I mostly prefer singlecoil pickups for slide, with p90's a long time favourite and Tele bridge and pickup absolute favourite. Just my preference. Goldfoils are great also. Like any guitar or style of music, personal preference should be the deciding factor. It really is different for each of us. I know I prefer a single bridge pickup guitar, but for dual pickup set ups I might prefer a different pickup in the neck spot, like a Strat neck pup or Kay kleenex box sc.

One thing that yanks my chain is anytime a questionable or marginal guitar is discussed, some dumbass has to pop in with the old "might make a good slide guitar", lame o post. Yeah, only crap guitars for playing slide, make for only crappy slide guitars usually employed by crappy players. Really, if you are serious about playing slide you need a good slide guitar. My 2 cents worth.

Sol

I played a lot of bottleneck guitar over the years. Electric and acoustic. I have a small stable of specific "slide guitars". Dobro's, custom resonator's and tri cone along with lap steels and a very early Bigsby inspired solid Birdseye Maple, (not veneer and just exquisite), Emmons pedal steel. I have quite a few specificly set up and some altered and customised electrics for specific tunings like E or D and G or A for open tuned blues and some for C6 or E7. I have a heavily modified old solid flame maple Ricky solidbody with custom electronics and hardware and my own version of 5 string G tuning with the 5th string set up in an octave pair like a 12 string for a 6 string set up like a 5 string.

I mostly prefer singlecoil pickups for slide, with p90's a long time favourite and Tele bridge and pickup absolute favourite. Just my preference. Goldfoils are great also. Like any guitar or style of music, personal preference should be the deciding factor. It really is different for each of us. I know I prefer a single bridge pickup guitar, but for dual pickup set ups I might prefer a different pickup in the neck spot, like a Strat neck pup or Kay kleenex box sc.

One thing that yanks my chain is anytime a questionable or marginal guitar is discussed, some dumbass has to pop in with the old "might make a good slide guitar", lame o post. Yeah, only crap guitars for playing slide, make for only crappy slide guitars usually employed by crappy players. Really, if you are serious about playing slide you need a good slide guitar. My 2 cents worth.

You have Dobro, and National style guitars I'd love, (I've never played a tri cone for e. g.). I've committed myself to a number of small bodied acoustics. My no1 is my Fylde 'Ariel' model, but have an OM size Harmony, that with its ladder bracing is superb for slide and blues fingerstyle.
My primary electric is 1996 Gibson Les Paul D/C Special in TV Yellow. Its P90, s and total access to the neck make it as close to perfect for my style.

Texas Blues

USA Les Paul Jr.

Open G.

Thickass glass slide.

Second finger.

Cranked 5f1.

Butt rockett.