• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slide with P-90’s

Big Al

You have Dobro, and National style guitars I'd love, (I've never played a tri cone for e. g.). I've committed myself to a number of small bodied acoustics. My no1 is my Fylde 'Ariel' model, but have an OM size Harmony, that with its ladder bracing is superb for slide and blues fingerstyle.
My primary electric is 1996 Gibson Les Paul D/C Special in TV Yellow. Its P90, s and total access to the neck make it as close to perfect for my style.

Yup. Hey Gibson has, or had, a rown satin curly maple bottle neck Dobro with a built in pickup, ( biscuit ?), that was quite affordable, (Hound Dog??), that I checked out. It sounded great. There are very inexpensive and surprisingly good sounding bottleneck single cone resonators by Fender, Epiphone, Gretsch, Dean and a bunch more, in wood or metal. Regal made an affordable Tri cone and there are others. The newer Nationals are superb. I also like ladder braced cheaper acoustics like catalog Airlines, Silvertones and Harmony's from 40's and 50's as well as Archtops.

Jrs just rule, imo, and all of them make killer electric slide guitars. Singlecut, Doublecut or SG, the combination of mahogany, p90 and wraptail bridge make for my perfect and preferable ideal. Those newer Specials and Jrs keep it rolling on.

Texas Blues

Yup. Hey Gibson has, or had, a rown satin curly maple bottle neck Dobro with a built in pickup, ( biscuit ?), that was quite affordable, (Hound Dog??), that I checked out. It sounded great. There are very inexpensive and surprisingly good sounding bottleneck single cone resonators by Fender, Epiphone, Gretsch, Dean and a bunch more, in wood or metal. Regal made an affordable Tri cone and there are others. The newer Nationals are superb. I also like ladder braced cheaper acoustics like catalog Airlines, Silvertones and Harmony's from 40's and 50's as well as Archtops.

Jrs just rule, imo, and all of them make killer electric slide guitars. Singlecut, Doublecut or SG, the combination of mahogany, p90 and wraptail bridge make for my perfect and preferable ideal. Those newer Specials and Jrs keep it rolling on.

There's never a LIKE button on this forum.

When you need one.

Sol

So with your experience you'd recommend I check out the 'Hound Dog'?
I've said this before but outside London access to fine vintage Dobro and National guitars come along so rarely that in N Wales, if your not there when the guitar arrives at the shop, you've lost, and given that I live on the Isle of Anglesey, you'll appreciate my dilemma.

My ladder braced Harmony, is precious, and as a Luthier I'm hoping to have something to share regarding a re purposing of a guitar I've been working on, never intended for slide, but holds considerable promise... So far so good, and will share if the damn thing bears fruit.

I'm rebuilding the very first solid body guitar I ever made, (A Tele naturally..) And have assured members of the tdpri forum the pics as I refret and reassemble. It will really amuse all Luthiers as I will show in detail every mistake and dumb move I made on the first guitar I made, and although it's a Tele I'd be happy to amuse all on the LPF at my expense in the same manner.. We'll see. With little more than time on my hands, the opertunity to entertain seems as worthy an endeavour as we await the apocalypse ����������

Last edited:

Unbound Dot Neck

Hound Dog Taylor , 6 fingered SilverTone,, !!
Incendreary , alas no P 90's
Gimme back my wig

:hank

Big Al

Hound Dog Taylor , 6 fingered SilverTone,, !!
Incendreary , alas no P 90's
Gimme back my wig

:hank

I still have my original House Rockers LP. GBMW was one of my favorite tracks. I believe he wacked the sixth finger off one of his hands 'cause it "got in the way", yikes!!!!!! He is the reason I got into small, cathode biased, no negative feedback tube combo amps from 50's & 60's so intently. I use to just blow them off as cheap beginners amplifiers until that record unplugged my snobbish ears. So filthy in all the best ways and again, reinforces my preference for single coils and gives me ammo to hurl at Bass guitarist that need attitude adjustments. "Sorry Joco, I just don't really need ya!". What was the other guys name? Brewster??

I saw them way back when, and I never had more fun!!!

Big Al

So with your experience you'd recommend I check out the 'Hound Dog'?
I've said this before but outside London access to fine vintage Dobro and National guitars come along so rarely that in N Wales, if your not there when the guitar arrives at the shop, you've lost, and given that I live on the Isle of Anglesey, you'll appreciate my dilemma.

My ladder braced Harmony, is precious, and as a Luthier I'm hoping to have something to share regarding a re purposing of a guitar I've been working on, never intended for slide, but holds considerable promise... So far so good, and will share if the damn thing bears fruit.

I'm rebuilding the very first solid body guitar I ever made, (A Tele naturally..) And have assured members of the tdpri forum the pics as I refret and reassemble. It will really amuse all Luthiers as I will show in detail every mistake and dumb move I made on the first guitar I made, and although it's a Tele I'd be happy to amuse all on the LPF at my expense in the same manner.. We'll see. With little more than time on my hands, the opertunity to entertain seems as worthy an endeavour as we await the apocalypse ����������

OK, first of all, Tele's rule. I've had some bad medical stuff happen that has left me a bit, ... impaired. I am trying to finish my last builds, all versions of Tele's and an acoustic guitar. I had done most of the woodwork before losing the useof my left arm so I think I can finish them as I'm learnig how to do things one handed. Once I radius the bodies edges and sanding, the rest should be relatively easy. I did glue the neck onto the acoustic so most of whats left I should be able to do.

The brown satin flame maple single cone Dobro I mentioned is a budget model made by Dobro, it is a Dobro, which Gibson owned, I don't know what the status is now. I think it was called a Hound Dog, but I might be wrong. They were very common and I remember seeing them in all the big mail order web sights.

I may even have bought one but I had gotten a lot of gear and then got hammered by back to back to back to back surgeries, lost function, as well as my humerus bone, of my left arm, so as stupid as it sounds I'm not quite sure what I have. I know I checked one out at the HOG and loving it as well as finding the price crazy low. My son found a bunch of stuff I forgot I had, and this is embarrassing to admitt, I forgot about or just don't remember getting.

It has been so nuts and chaotic for me and the first thing I lost was any ability to play slide and bottleneck. Gone forever. I kinda didn't want to root around in storage looking for reminders of things I can't use. I can't even unpack anything anyway. I can have my son look, he knows were everything is anyway. I'll try and find out and I know I sound stupid but my entire life got up ended overnight and it's been one thing after another, each one costing more and removing some part of me.

But, iirc, Dobro Hound Dog or something like that. If no longer made, there may be used ones at even better prices. If I can help in anyway I'd be happy to. I know people..

zoommutt

I have a few Hound Dog recordings. When he talks between songs he sounds so uh....erm,,, lubricated. Beware the Dog!

Sol

OK, first of all, Tele's rule. I've had some bad medical stuff happen that has left me a bit, ... impaired. I am trying to finish my last builds, all versions of Tele's and an acoustic guitar. I had done most of the woodwork before losing the useof my left arm so I think I can finish them as I'm learnig how to do things one handed. Once I radius the bodies edges and sanding, the rest should be relatively easy. I did glue the neck onto the acoustic so most of whats left I should be able to do.

The brown satin flame maple single cone Dobro I mentioned is a budget model made by Dobro, it is a Dobro, which Gibson owned, I don't know what the status is now. I think it was called a Hound Dog, but I might be wrong. They were very common and I remember seeing them in all the big mail order web sights.

I may even have bought one but I had gotten a lot of gear and then got hammered by back to back to back to back surgeries, lost function, as well as my humerus bone, of my left arm, so as stupid as it sounds I'm not quite sure what I have. I know I checked one out at the HOG and loving it as well as finding the price crazy low. My son found a bunch of stuff I forgot I had, and this is embarrassing to admitt, I forgot about or just don't remember getting.

It has been so nuts and chaotic for me and the first thing I lost was any ability to play slide and bottleneck. Gone forever. I kinda didn't want to root around in storage looking for reminders of things I can't use. I can't even unpack anything anyway. I can have my son look, he knows were everything is anyway. I'll try and find out and I know I sound stupid but my entire life got up ended overnight and it's been one thing after another, each one costing more and removing some part of me.

But, iirc, Dobro Hound Dog or something like that. If no longer made, there may be used ones at even better prices. If I can help in anyway I'd be happy to. I know people..

Is there any hope for improvement in your left arm Big Al ? I know that you've been through the wars this last 10 yrs or more, and your attitude has helped me with my own issues, paltry in comparison with your own trials, but it's the culmination of all that inspires us to hope, myself included.

Teles rule! I concur, and no wonder, knowing that the Tele morphed from Leo's Lap steel, is it any wonder they sound so amazing for slide work? That bridge pickup is legend..

"I know people.."😎.. I don't doubt it for a moment sir.. I've taken a few notes from your previous posts, suggestions I'll be checking out, and your offer of assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.

Due to the lockdown I've suddenly become a regular contributer at TLPF in a way I've not always been able to, in the past. Personally I find it therapeutic in the times we find ourselves.

Unbound Dot Neck

How bout this guy ! El Rayo- X. I was at this show ~ P 90's
The Prince of Polyester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWzTT-NVfA

I still have my original House Rockers LP. GBMW was one of my favorite tracks. I believe he wacked the sixth finger off one of his hands 'cause it "got in the way", yikes!!!!!! He is the reason I got into small, cathode biased, no negative feedback tube combo amps from 50's & 60's so intently. I use to just blow them off as cheap beginners amplifiers until that record unplugged my snobbish ears. So filthy in all the best ways and again, reinforces my preference for single coils and gives me ammo to hurl at Bass guitarist that need attitude adjustments. "Sorry Joco, I just don't really need ya!". What was the other guys name? Brewster??

Big Al

Is there any hope for improvement in your left arm Big Al ? I know that you've been through the wars this last 10 yrs or more, and your attitude has helped me with my own issues, paltry in comparison with your own trials, but it's the culmination of all that inspires us to hope, myself included.

Teles rule! I concur, and no wonder, knowing that the Tele morphed from Leo's Lap steel, is it any wonder they sound so amazing for slide work? That bridge pickup is legend..

"I know people.."😎.. I don't doubt it for a moment sir.. I've taken a few notes from your previous posts, suggestions I'll be checking out, and your offer of assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.

Due to the lockdown I've suddenly become a regular contributer at TLPF in a way I've not always been able to, in the past. Personally I find it therapeutic in the times we find ourselves.

There is nothing but scar tissue and withered unattached muscle. Unattached 'cause cancer ate the bone up and the big metal "bone" they installed popped out the top of my shoulder, tearing a big hole in my arm, TWICE!! Not enough muscle and soft tissue left to make a stable capsule to hold a metal implant in place. So I have nuthin' in there. A noodle arm, fetticcini, squid tentacle. I can bend and twist like taffy. Good for nothing, hurts a lot. They carved off my left pectoral muscle to sew over the wound from the implant tearing out, so my chest is sore.

The arm is dead. There is nothing good to say.

brandtkronholm

Give Me Back my Wig! That nasty unrefined non-Gibson sound he had was positively X-rated!

I first heard "Natural Boogie" on vinyl - still a classic! I've got the CD now.

Second guitarist's name was "Brewer". (Played a Tele, right?)

There is nothing but scar tissue and withered unattached muscle. Unattached 'cause cancer ate the bone up and the big metal "bone" they installed popped out the top of my shoulder, tearing a big hole in my arm, TWICE!! Not enough muscle and soft tissue left to make a stable capsule to hold a metal implant in place. So I have nuthin' in there. A noodle arm, fetticcini, squid tentacle. I can bend and twist like taffy. Good for nothing, hurts a lot. They carved off my left pectoral muscle to sew over the wound from the implant tearing out, so my chest is sore.

Crud. I know we're all saddened to hear this lousy news.

Sol

I feel terribly conflicted this evening. If I had not publicly enquired after your health, you would not have felt obliged to reply publicly in matters of such a personal nature, things you may have shared previously in a more private setting with forum members concerned for you health.

But your forthright manner, a 'speak the truth and shame the devil' attitude makes you a strong candidate for
'Honorary Yorkshire man' award. Every Brit reading this will understand exactly where I'm coming from!

We all know your made of sterner stuff, but if I've enquired where a wiser man would have shown discretion, I apologise.

Big Al

I feel terribly conflicted this evening. If I had not publicly enquired after your health, you would not have felt obliged to reply publicly in matters of such a personal nature, things you may have shared previously in a more private setting with forum members concerned for you health.

But your forthright manner, a 'speak the truth and shame the devil' attitude makes you a strong candidate for
'Honorary Yorkshire man' award. Every Brit reading this will understand exactly where I'm coming from!

We all know your made of sterner stuff, but if I've enquired where a wiser man would have shown discretion, I apologise.

No need. When my cancer battle was made public on the internet, my wish to keep it private pretty much ended. So I decided to be open and honest about all of it. Mostly to show that I am not some brave, stoic, heroic warrior, engaged in some epic storybook battle. I'm human. I whine and bitch and moan. I am not brave and the thought of a slow, painful cancer death fills me with a deep, unshakeable dread. It literally keeps me up at night.

So I choose to confront it head on and though it continually reminds me, by robbing me of body parts, function and ability, inbetween whining and self pity, I try to engage in the few things I can still enjoy. I may not have a future and my past self is a memory, but I find simple joy in small everyday things. I am beyond feeling any affront and your sincere inquiry and concern certainly wouldn't cause me any discomfort.

I want, I desire people to be comfortable with this. Hell, make jokes about it. It won't offend me as even on my worst days, I find myself laughing at the utter absurdity of it all. Yup, I'm scared and angry and a big whiney baby, but I laugh and love and laugh at myself and life still. You're fine, bruver. Don't be dismayed by anything you ask me. I ain't tits up yet.