• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Did Gibson Make An R0 Or G0 Goldtop?

Bruce R

If memory serves me correct, I once saw a factory R0, or perhaps a G0, Goldtop on the market a while ago. Would this be accurate?

I just sold a sweet R8 that I played for years because the neck size became a bit too much for me. I'd love a Goldtop and an R0 or G0 would be ideal, but not quite sure if there was such a thing available.

Tim Plains

Not sure but Gibson has made a very low number of R7s with slim necks.

axeman565758

you can actually pick up an R0, or even cheaper, a plaintop GO. Have a top refin done in Gold. Or, buy an R7 Goldtop and have the neck shaped to your liking.
Re: your question. I recall seeing R0 GT's, maybe on here...not sure. There is one for sale on reverb for $3900.00
Thats a crazy price though, IMO

Bruce R

Not sure but Gibson has made a very low number of R7s with slim necks.

Yes! I came across one of those a while back being offered in the LPF Forum Member Classified section but wasn't ready to grab it. Now I am ready and there are none to be found. The newer R7's tend to be lighter, too. Almost all of the ones I see on Reverb or eBay don't indicate the neck size or weight, but most sellers will provide it when asked. I guess it is understood they have huge necks and weigh a lot! The search goes on.

Thunder Dump

If memory serves me correct, I once saw a factory R0, or perhaps a G0, Goldtop on the market a while ago. Would this be accurate?

I just sold a sweet R8 that I played for years because the neck size became a bit too much for me. I'd love a Goldtop and an R0 or G0 would be ideal, but not quite sure if there was such a thing available.

Yes, they did, but they were rare. They did a G0 Goldtop somewhere around 2009-2010 for Guitar Center (probably a run of 50) but like Tim mentioned you can find R7s with 60s necks which, while still relatively rare, are far more in number than the G0 Goldtop.

However, Chicago Music Exchange has done several runs of R0 in a Goldtop as part of their CME Custom Shop guitar runs. They've actually got an R7 with a 60s V2 neck for sale right now on their web site. I have a 2017 of theirs, which is when Gibson was trying to do away with the reissue naming convention so they just referred to all of them as Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Standards, but the serial number would tell you the reissue series (for the regular dealer runs--the CME ones were their own). So it's a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Standard Goldtop/Darkback but it is a 1960 reissue. It's got the Coletti V slim neck on it (based on the neck from the CC#22 guitar) and it's fantastic:

2017csgoldtop-39.jpg

2017csgoldtop-34.jpg

2017csgoldtop-43.jpg

Bruce R

Thanks so much for that information, it was just what I was wanting to know. Makes total sense from what little I understood about them.

I checked out the CME site and found the guitar you mentioned, it is exactly what I'm looking for!! I am afraid a new one isn't in my budget so it's likely that a used conventional R0 or G0 is in the cards for me. I posted a "wanted to buy" thread in the members classified, so perhaps something will pop up.

Last edited: