• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup Selector Sits Too Deep /Chewing Up Tip?

yeltneb

Hi!

I have a Les Paul Traditional with a switchcraft pickup selector which I instaleed a few years ago.

Problem I have is that due to the thickness of the cap, the switch sits a few milimetres too deep. This means that when I select the Neck / Bridge pickup the switchtip hits the locknut and over time this gradually damages the tip (i've been through 2-3 of them for this reason).
w4Sm14

I've tried to find switches with a longer thread but i'm not sure any are avaiible. Any ideas anyone?

Picture here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188697720@N03/shares/w4Sm14

w4Sm14
Cheers!

Andrew

El Gringo

Out of curiosity why did you swap out the selector switch ? I know this will sound stupid but why not return the stock selector switch to your instrument .

metropolis

Just to add to that it should have been a Switchcraft originally, right? Unless you have a shorter one there shouldn't be many types of switch, as the tip screw isn't a part which changes length as far as I understand. I would check the nut and switch are the same to rule out any dimension differences, otherwise it'll be how it's fitted that's stopping it sitting correctly.

yeltneb

Out of curiosity why did you swap out the selector switch ? I know this will sound stupid but why not return the stock selector switch to your instrument .

Good question! Truth is that I did it a few years ago and I can't actually rememer why. I also discarded the old one for some reason. Guess it must have been glitchy

yeltneb

Just to add to that it should have been a Switchcraft originally, right? Unless you have a shorter one there shouldn't be many types of switch, as the tip screw isn't a part which changes length as far as I understand. I would check the nut and switch are the same to rule out any dimension differences, otherwise it'll be how it's fitted that's stopping it sitting correctly.

Hey thanks for coming back to me. It's not the tip screw that's too short it's the screw on the switch shaft. I've checked it a few times and it seems to be installed properly. Its just as though the cap is a bit thick? It's possible the old one had the same problem and I never noticed it as the 'new' one has been in a lot longer. The only thing I can think of is removing wood from the cap from the inside of the cavity but that seems really extreme

El Gringo

Good question! Truth is that I did it a few years ago and I can't actually rememer why. I also discarded the old one for some reason. Guess it must have been glitchy

I certainly know the feeling as to how I threw out parts decades ago that I wish I had kept .

El Gringo

Hey thanks for coming back to me. It's not the tip screw that's too short it's the screw on the switch shaft. I've checked it a few times and it seems to be installed properly. Its just as though the cap is a bit thick? It's possible the old one had the same problem and I never noticed it as the 'new' one has been in a lot longer. The only thing I can think of is removing wood from the cap from the inside of the cavity but that seems really extreme

That I would not do , I would buy a new assembly for the selector switch and start from scratch . Also buy Gibson and return it to stock and you should be fine with no issues . I can also assure you that you would most certainly regret removing wood after the fact .

Arnold M.

I have the exact same problem with my Les Paul, simply remove the switch and take the wood surface down say .030" for example where the switch contacts the body, I did it with mine and now the switch sits at the perfect height ..

PaulD

I would buy a new assembly for the selector switch and start from scratch . Also buy Gibson and return it to stock and you should be fine with no issues.

Switchcraft switches are standard fitment. It already is stock.