• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Interesting Volume pot(s) setup on my new 335

goldtop0

Got this '14 Nashville '59 the other week and immediately noticed the different volume response I get with it.
Both neck and bridge have pretty much a nil response until I dial in at 7 or so and then they take off up to 10, with the middle position giving the full range of up and down volume(1-10), the normal volume sweep that I'm used to.
So I'm guessing that these are linear taper pots?
The good thing with this is that I can dial in different rhythm to lead volume levels switching from middle to bridge position, and think I might want to also have these volume pots on my LPs.
The down side being, that if I inadvertently switch to neck position there's virtually no volume there if set at 5-6 and below.

poor man's burst

What you describe is the opposit of a linear pot. Typically a linear pot has almost no effect from 10 to 2 and then, everything happens between 2 and 0. Your pots sound more like a poor quality audio (or logarithmic) pot where the curve looks more like a succession of straight line with a different slope than a smooth logarthmic curve, which is practically very difficult to achieve when manufacturing audio pots. The fewer the different slopes and the more they are going to be percieved when using the pot.

goldtop0

What you describe is the opposit of a linear pot. Typically a linear pot has almost no effect from 10 to 2 and then, everything happens between 2 and 0. Your pots sound more like a poor quality audio (or logarithmic) pot where the curve looks more like a succession of straight line with a different slope than a smooth logarthmic curve, which is practically very difficult to achieve when manufacturing audio pots. The fewer the different slopes and the more they are going to be percieved when using the pot.

You've lost me with this description............... 10 to 2 etc............and I don't know anything about logarthmic curves and different slopes........are you trying to explain volume pots here or maybe something else:hmm

I'm looking for something a little less scientific and more in line with practical guitar speak.

Last edited:

Big Al

Got this '14 Nashville '59 the other week and immediately noticed the different volume response I get with it.
Both neck and bridge have pretty much a nil response until I dial in at 7 or so and then they take off up to 10, with the middle position giving the full range of up and down volume(1-10), the normal volume sweep that I'm used to.
So I'm guessing that these are linear taper pots?
The good thing with this is that I can dial in different rhythm to lead volume levels switching from middle to bridge position, and think I might want to also have these volume pots on my LPs.
The down side being, that if I inadvertently switch to neck position there's virtually no volume there if set at 5-6 and below.

Yes, that has been my experience too, when using linear taper volume pots.

goldtop0

Yes, that has been my experience too, when using linear taper volume pots.

Thanks for that Al.
With the lack of replies I thought I was on the wrong track.
Interesting with this 335 that there would be a mix of pots, linear for Volumes and audio taper for the Tones as I've found(they function normally with a graduated response going from 1-10).

Big Al

I seem to recall a couple of years where the did that switch to Linear Taper and it wasn't well received by those of us that actually use our pots for the amazing blends and tone variations they allow, instead of parking everything on 10 all the time. Both my 2013 R9 & R8 have them, (linear), and I hate the way they work, but I never recovered enough to play them and now I never will, so both sit, mint and untouched in their Liftons. Thankfully they reverted back to log taper or audio taper pots.

It is why I have always preferred the so called Modern wiring. It offers greater, more consistent tone and volume control. Especially with a flipped magnet!!

goldtop0

I seem to recall a couple of years where the did that switch to Linear Taper and it wasn't well received by those of us that actually use our pots for the amazing blends and tone variations they allow, instead of parking everything on 10 all the time. Both my 2013 R9 & R8 have them, (linear), and I hate the way they work, but I never recovered enough to play them and now I never will, so both sit, mint and untouched in their Liftons. Thankfully they reverted back to log taper or audio taper pots.

It is why I have always preferred the so called Modern wiring. It offers greater, more consistent tone and volume control. Especially with a flipped magnet!!

Whereas both my '13s R8 and R6(plus a '13 R7 that I sold) are audio taper. I remember the outcry at the time and wondered what it was all about.