• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1980 LP Standard

skip777

I'm in the process of building an instrument very much like my 1980 LP Standard that I gigged with for many years. I've pretty much got the specs down except for the neck material/shape.

When I google it, I find some folks say it was mahogany ... others say 3 piece maple.

Does anyone know definitively what the neck shape/profile was ... as well as the material and if it was 1 pc, 3 pc, etc?

Thanks!

Skip :eek:la

Big Al

How many years did you gig with it??

The confusion is which model Standard you gigged with but failed to notice the neck wood material, construction or even remember the shape or profile after gigging with it for many years. I'm left wondering what was so remarkable, if not memorable that you want to attempt to recreate it rather than find one.

I'll try to give some answers, but would ask how you know it was a 1980 yom. Did you buy it new or used? In 1980 there were 3 Standard models. I'll give general specs to see if one jogs your memory and then you can gather more info.

1 Les Paul Standard. Basically the same as preceeding Standards back to '77. Three piece thin maple neck, 14 degree rake for large headstock with volute.

2 Heritage Standard 80. New ltd.ed. model first attempt at a factory offered 1959 Reissue. Lots of changes including neck which was three piece mahogany, 59 full rounded profile with SP1 narrow 17 degree rake, no volute.

3 Heritage Standard 80 Elite. Same as above with neck spec of one piece mahogany and ebony fingerboard.

Just basic stuff, but you can see why the confusion.

skip777

Thanks for your response, Big Al.

It was #1, a plain Std that I purchased new at Mannys NYC July 1980.

Gigged with it 15 years or so; didn't pay much attention to those things I guess back then

Last edited:

Big Al

So that would be thin three piece maple. Same as the one I bought in 78. I still have my Heritage Standard 80, well it's here but I gave it to my son.

skip777

Big Al,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!!

BTW, besides being an exceptional sounding/playing instrument, that LP had excellent sustain. Any ideas why? I do remember changing out the pickups it came with to Duncans JB in the bridge and PAF in the neck, but the "sustain factor" was already there prior to the pickup changes.

Also, what do you call the neck profile? Is it a slim taper similar to the current CS '63 SG Custom RI's?

I just remembered that I used 13-56 gauge strings on that guitar (had to work my way up to those).

Best,

Last edited:

feelthedarkness

Big Al,

BTW, besides being an exceptional sounding/playing instrument, that LP had excellent sustain. Any ideas why? I do remember changing out the pickups it came with to Duncans JB in the bridge and PAF in the neck, but the "sustain factor" was already there prior to the pickup changes.

Also, what do you call the neck profile? Is it a slim taper similar to the current CS '63 SG Custom RI's?

Best,

My '80 Standard that I used to have had a very slim D profile 3-piece maple neck if that helps.

Big Al

Big Al,

I just remembered that I used 13-56 gauge strings on that guitar (had to work my way up to those).

Best,

Why such excessively heavy strings? What benefits do they offer?

Sustain is a result of the tight build. Stiff neck, deeply set into a rigid stble body, however those strings are sustain killers, unless you tuned down to D or C.

The profile close to 60's Slim Taper, a consistent, shallow C with little thickening at all towards heel. That thin neck wasn't made for such heavy strings.

Why are you trying to replicate a guitar you seem unable to remember? It strikes me as odd.

skip777

Ive been using 009's for 2 decades now; can't even imagine doing the 13's