• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Differences Between Early Historics and Standard "Classic" Guitars?

Bruce R

I can see the vast differences between the Custom Shop and the Standard USA Les Pauls in the recent years. However, I recall the Standard Classic and Classic "1960" of the 90's and early 2000 were basically excellent guitars.

Can anybody explain the physical differences between the Historic and the Standard Les Pauls of those years?

Last edited:

rockabilly69

I can see the vast differences between the Custom Shop and the Standard USA Les Pauls in the recent years. However, I recall the Standard Classic and Classic "1960" of the 90's and early 2000 were basically excellent guitars.

Can anybody explain the physical differences between the Historic and the Standard Les Pauls of those years?

here's some...

neck joint

classic: rocker tenon
historic: long tenon

tailpiece

classic: heavy zinc
historic: lightweight aluminum

neck shape

classic: thin profile
historic: med to thick profile

body wood back

classic: weight relieved mahogany
historic: solid mahohany

inlays

classic: light to dark green
historic: white/gray

Last edited:

El Gringo

Big Difference for me as I own a 1994 Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus top and numerous R9's and R8's is that the body is chambered (Swiss cheese ) and there is a world of difference in the tone in a most harsh way . I swapped out the harness for 500K pots and PIO caps and some ThroBak's (101 Plus ) and I think maybe Gibson knew what they were doing using the 300K pots , which are not as bright and maybe even on the darker side to mask some of the harshness of the weight relief . I went the complete opposite direction thinking the 500K pots would give me so much more versatility with the tonal spectrum along with the ThroBak's which I absolutely love and are my favorite pickup . I think I was wrong , in so far as putting lipstick and fancy makeup on the pig as at the end of the day it's still a pig . Not that I will throw more money or change it out again as I just have too many other Les Paul's to worry about that one . Also , not to forget about the thin and small slim taper neck , which I was able to play with no problems , but it's not my favorite .