The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Shipping Guitar FedEx Ground

Hello,

Shipping guitars FedEx ground kind of scares me. Do any of you guys use FedEx ground when you ship guitars?
    LP Forum member since 1999 but was lost for a long time.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Shipping Guitar FedEx Ground

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Hello,

Shipping guitars FedEx ground kind of scares me. Do any of you guys use FedEx ground when you ship guitars?
    Why Does it Scare You?
    Just Pack it well Make Sure its Secure And Insure it For the Proper Amount
    I been using Fed-Ex Express,Fed-Ex Ground And Fed-Ex Home Delivery For years Never Had a Problem At All
    But I Myself have had Trouble With UPS With Loss And Damage to the Instrument and Amps

Quote Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
    Why Does it Scare You?
    Just Pack it well Make Sure its Secure And Insure it For the Proper Amount
    I been using Fed-Ex Express,Fed-Ex Ground And Fed-Ex Home Delivery For years Never Had a Problem At All
    But I Myself have had Trouble With UPS With Loss And Damage to the Instrument and Amps
    Thanks.

I have never had any problem with FedEX delivery.

Les Paul Forum Member axeman565758's Avatar

I have used DHL (problems) UPS (many problems) USPS ( no problems but pricey ) and FedEx Ground....I have never had an issues whatsoever with FEG.
    Guitars:
    2018 '57 Les Paul Goldtop M2M
    2018 CS-336 P90 M2M TV Yellow
    2016 '60 Fender NOS Telecaster Custom Black
    2011 '60 Fender NOS "NoNeck" Strat Olympic White
    1990 Guild D-4NT acoustic
    1981 Guild D-15 Mahogany, w/ Fishman Rare Earth p'up

Amps:
    1993 Fender '63 Vibroverb RI Brown/Wheat 2X10
    2016 '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, FSR Wine Red/Wheat 1X12
    2016 Mather Cabinets Fender Style etc cabinet Wine Red/Wheat 1X10

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Just pack the guitar really well with lots of padding around the case, and wrap duck tape around the box to keep the box from coming apart. Putting a plastic bag around the guitar case isn't a bad idea either in case the box gets wet.

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

All the packaging advice noted here is important. In addition I would shoot to minimize the exposure time. Overnight is best as it won't be moved from as many places or sitting around which increases chance of mishap. There are plenty of good videos about packaging on YouTube.

Fedex will box / pack a guitar in a new Fedex box for $23. This eliminates any question whether or not it was pack correctly.
    If it is an LP - ask them to cut the box down to below 50 inches and it will lower the price significantly. A factory Gibson box is only
    45 tall.

Detune the strings 1/2 step. Place crushing under the headstock and around the body if it is not snug.

I've always wondered if it's because I live in UPS' Corporate back yard but I have always had the best luck with them. Never had loss or damage and my driver goes out of his way to make sure any guitars are hidden at a back door if he has to leave one. Fedex on the other hand has been the bane of my existence at times, delivering to the wrong address (3X), losing packages (not a guitar thankfully) and once leaving a bass in the middle of my driveway instead of bothering to at least walk it up to the house. I cringe whenever someone sends me a Fedex tracking number as notification.

Hi all,

Thanx for your replies. The reason I said it’s scary is that they told me they do not offer insurance. Even if they pack for you, if anything happen to your guitar they’ll only cover up to $1,000 and you are beyond that amount.

Go to Page 7 of 15 - line 12. The 1k limit is for 20 yrs old and personalized guitars.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2018.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Go to Page 7 of 15 - line 12. The 1k limit is for 20 yrs old and personalized guitars.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2018.pdf
    Thank you very much.

seanT

Best to get guitar insurance when the instrument is vintage and costly. One of the forum sponsors is Heritage, but there are others.

As I live in the outskirts of the American empire, most of the traffic is inbound. Every carrier has delivered to my home, and whether the shipper is Fedex or UPS, there has been damage. Virtually all the problems are due to neck breaking around the headstock, and Gibson was the victim each time. USPS has been good, so far.

Yesterday, UPS delivered a new custom shop Strat to me by ground freight. It survived because Fender is using a polyethylene or closed cell foam insert above and below the case. The rest was all air gap. The dealer detuned the strings down by more than an octave.

There are dealers in the business who pack extremely well. One is Sweetwater. Examine how they package (and double box) a guitar. It may not save your guitar, but at least you will be giving it the best shot at survival.