• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck profiles differences: ,vintage 50's Vs slim taper

Guido_59

What are the real differences between this two type of neck?
Les Paul standard original series 50's has vintage 50's
Les Paul standard original series 60's had slim taper
Thickness affect sound really?
What's differences in playability and comfort?
What's are exact specs of both?

grimlyflick

60’s slim taper is slimmer depth wise than the 50’s.

I prefer slim 60’s, others prefer the 50’s

Comfort wise it’s dependant on the player.

Specs can be found on the Gibson website.

Without sounding pendantic, as with a lot of your questions/threads on here, the answer is nearly always “go try it and see what works for you” as your enquiries relate to personal taste.

Sorry if that seems lame or sarcastic but you wouldn’t ask meat or fish in an effort to see what you prefer.
:salude

Guido_59

Excuse me but I have some difficulty to explain my questions in other language.
Yesterday I go to a shop and put my hand on two Les Paul with both type of neck .
I touch both neck for less than minute but I notice that 50 vintage it is not so big as I read.
For more accurate try I go by appointment in shop to try it for more time and listen also differences in sound of pickup burstbucker 1e,2 and burstbucker 61

BlueGuitar!

With necks comfort is the most important. Do you have smaller hands or play more lead (60's) or do you have bigger hands and play more rhythm (50's). Do you like to use thumb to fret low E frets (60's).

danzego

I wouldn’t whittle it down to a 50’s profile being for larger hands and a 60’s being for smaller. A lot of people enjoy a 50’s neck that don’t have huge paws, myself included. It’s actually a very comfortable profile for smaller hands.

Generally speaking, a 50’s Standard neck is going to fall in the target measurement of around .88 to somewhere in the .98 - 1.00 range (give or take a couple hundredths either way). The profile has somewhat broad shoulders and is pretty rounded. A slim taper 60’s, on the other hand, is going to be targeted at around .82 to around .92 or so (again, give or take) and often times, has a bit less rounded of a back than a 50’s.

With that said, you really have to get your hands on both to see what feels best to you. Unless you already have a good idea of what measurement and shape you prefer, descriptions like these are only going to help you understand what you’re feeling when you actually try them out.

El Gringo

I guess I have medium to large hands and I find the 50's profile more comfortable . I have the large 58 profile, ( my favorite ) the 59 profile, and the 60's slim taper . The 59 is in between . The slim taper profile is an issue for me on the cowboy chords , mostly that D chord . As I move up the neck towards the bridge it is less of an issue as the neck profile gets bigger. Some believe there is a difference in a larger profile and meatier neck enhancing the tone of the instrument . Neck profile is a most personal choice or preference , same as trying on a pair of shoes . I have only discovered my preferences in neck profile from trial and error . Best wishes on your journey and I hope I have been helpful .

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
As far as tone is concerned, they all sound like me, which could be good or bad, depending on who you ask... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

When it comes to "feel", they all feel good, like a good guitar should... :peace2

46268706804_5ab58f6948_b.jpg

Tarcisioo

Also depends on the series... Les Paul Studios used to have 50's style neck, but usually .82 to .92

It's a blend of 50's and 60s I guess, the shape of 50's with the sizes of 60's. I think my LP Studio has the best neck I've played, and I compared to custom shop necks too... I guess I probably have small-medium hands, and it's perfect for me

Guido_59

I was gone to shop and try both for minutes.
Both are good and comfort for me but slim taper of 60 a little bit more.
Now I reflect to choose because I preferer 50 pickup.

grimlyflick

I was gone to shop and try both for minutes.
Both are good and comfort for me but slim taper of 60 a little bit more.
Now I reflect to choose because I preferer 50 pickup.

Changing pickups is easy, changing neck profile, probably not.
:hee

sunking101

Or you could hunt for a Les Paul Traditional, still available new in some places. They have a neck profile inbetween a 50s and a 60s, plus they have the Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups like the 50s Standard. They have no weight relief and apart from the neck they are identical to a 50s Standard *but with an AA top (looks better).