• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Good vintage guitar dealers?

JPP-1

I’m looking for an early 50s goldtop but i would prefer something that doesn’t need a refret and is ready to go out of the box. I’m sure there must be a list floating around here but i also know things can change year to year.

Rudy’s is one of my favorite shops but I don’t often find the type of pieces I would consider buying.
Gruhn, Carter’s and Rumble Seat typically have a pretty good selection and appear to have an excellent reputation

Any other shops LPFers might recommend.

RAB

I’ve been playing guitar for over 50 years and have owned (and own) many, many high end vintage guitars and amps over the decades! In my experience Charlie Gelber, OK Guitars is one of the best vintage dealers out there. He is highly knowledgeable, honest, fair and communicative. I’ve bought guitars from him and sold guitars to him. I recommend him without reservation! RAB:jim

El Gringo

The 2 I trust the most and have made major purchases are Lark Street Music -www.larkstreetmusic.com and Gruhn Guitars -www.gruhn.com

The Guitar Hunter

I've bought from Norm's and they're good and helpful same with Imperial Vintage.
My boss has used garysguitar.com and cescoscornerguitars.com

Also, I'm sure places like Carters, Gruhn's, and Rumbleseat are all fantastic as well.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Rumbleseat Music in Nashville are great. Carter's Guitars, also in Nashville. OK Guitars, they specialize in ES-335s are very knowledgable. And for any of my fellow lefty friends out there Lefty Vintage Guitars are terrific.

Triburst

I've bought a couple of nice Gibsons from Gruhn's in Nashville.

That said, if I were looking for a specific type of guitar, like the goldtop you mention, the very first guy I'd call is Tom Wittrock, here on the LPF.

Last edited:

57gold

Have done business with the note folks at The Music Emporium in MA. You may have heard their ads on NPR for Collings, "made in Austin, played in Boston".

Have three instruments on consignment there, just published an ad in Fretboard Journal featuring 2 of mine:

jRNRBZS.jpg

Decided I didn't need 4 vintage Strats, 5 vintage LPs and 4 ESs.

TME guys are great people, take great photos (almost as good as a few of the guys here take), and want to do more vintage business.

Fried okra

There are so many: these guys have always treated me right.
Guitar House of Tulsa
Garrett Park
Emerald City
Rumble Seat
Carter Vintage
Abalone Vintage
Drew Berlin
Gruhns

Last edited:

JPP-1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Some places I was completely unaware of.

57gold

If you know what you want, call Gil Southworth and see if he has it.

Gil used to have a fantastic store in Bethesda, up until the early 1990s (pre-EC auction) his shop was a wonderland of the best stuff. Looking for a vintage LP:

q7kQ5.jpg

He is a bit of a character, he typically will describe the instrument and its "issues" like changed tuner or Bigsby removal, in my experience his vintage stuff is generally top drawer, quote you a price and ask if you want to buy it. He believes his prices are fair. If you disagree, he'll hang up.

I have purchased from him 1962 LP/SB Ebony Block; 1964 FB V; 1957 ES175D and 1959 ES345 double whites. Traded in a 1963 Strat and a 1952 Tele.

JPP-1

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I ended up buying this “Les Paul” that came out approximately 9 years later.
It’s a completely original including the frets 1962 “Les Paul” SG and it is so clean, it’s in better condition than a couple of my historics. I almost feel bad playing it. It looks like a new guitar.

28xoOx.jpg

I hope you don’t mind me posting it here first since I did start this thread on this forum.

57gold

Great looking LP/SG. Dig the unfaded coloration.

Where did you find it? PAFs?

57gold

Great find. Unfaded red is almost unheard of in this vintage.

PAFs? Where did you find it?

57gold

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I ended up buying this “Les Paul” that came out approximately 9 years later.
It’s a completely original including the frets 1962 “Les Paul” SG and it is so clean, it’s in better condition than a couple of my historics. I almost feel bad playing it. It looks like a new guitar.

28xoOx.jpg

I hope you don’t mind me posting it here first since I did start this thread on this forum.

Great color, many fade to brown or necks turn orange.

Where did you find it?