• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Modding A 50th Anniversary R0

Jimble

Hey All, just joined the LP Forum after a long time reading and enjoying the posts over the years. So with all the amazing 60th Anniversary R0s out there at the moment, I decided to look around for a 60' with a lower price point to quench the thirst for the burst. After a bit of searching I ended up going for a gold book 50th Anniversary v2 1960 R0 in Sunset teaburst pics below. Amazing guitar, really plays well with oodles of sustain. My question is whether this model is particularly collectible and if so what might that do to value? I'm thinking of replacing some of the plastics for more correct ones and swapping the pickups for something in keeping with a vintage style instrument.

IMG_20200520_105145.jpgIMG_20200520_105019.jpg

Gold Tone

Your plastics and metal hardware are already there

“Maybe” a couple things not quite (steel thumb wheels).

Pickups are to taste

El Gringo

Beautiful Les Paul , as the post above already mentioned the only thing I would change would be the pickups .

corpse

There are no mods if they are reversible, and you hang onto the original parts. Changed fret markers or drilling for Grovers- that would be irreversible and would have an impact.
Welcome to the forum.

Tim Plains

A real anal collector wouldn't want the guitar at all if the solder isn't original. Yes, they exist. Personally, I wouldn't care at all as long as the solder looks clean.

AA00475Bassman

A real anal collector wouldn't want the guitar at all if the solder isn't original. Yes, they exist. Personally, I wouldn't care at all as long as the solder looks clean.
I'm not anal but I like my Historic's stock , I buy these guitars for what they are I take a pass on altered Historic's .

JPP-1

I have to agree with you here. Even if i was selling one of my Historics with unbroken solder joints and someone asked me about solder joints, I wouldn’t sell it to them. Not even at a premium because that is just the tip of the iceberg with that joker.

On a 100k+ 57,58,59,60 Les Paul etc, unbroken solder joints help in establishing authenticity. With 6 figures on the line and some convincing counterfeits floating around, it’s a reasonable request.

No one is credibly faking R9s so anyone asking for this will be a huge pita over every bit of minutiae and likely scrutinize every inch of the guitar with a loupe and flashlight. And if they pay you with paypal forget it. Thankfully this never happened to me but i’ve heard horror stories.

Ubnfortunately, some people are under the erroneous assumption that these historics are investments and they are investing rather than buying a relatively expensive guitar, others are borderline neurotic and should never ever buy anything used.

Pickups, caps and pots are not mods afaic. As long as the originals are in the case are put back before the sale, it shouldn’t make bit of difference. Frankly, i might even pay a little more for an R9 with upgraded pots caps and boutique pickups from the likes of Ox4, Rewind, Throbak, etc.

El Gringo

I have to agree with you here. Even if i was selling one of my Historics with unbroken solder joints and someone asked me about solder joints, I wouldn’t sell it to them. Not even at a premium because that is just the tip of the iceberg with that joker.

On a 100k+ 57,58,59,60 Les Paul etc, unbroken solder joints help in establishing authenticity. With 6 figures on the line and some convincing counterfeits floating around, it’s a reasonable request.

No one is credibly faking R9s so anyone asking for this will be a huge pita over every bit of minutiae and likely scrutinize every inch of the guitar with a loupe and flashlight. And if they pay you with paypal forget it. Thankfully this never happened to me but i’ve heard horror stories.

Ubnfortunately, some people are under the erroneous assumption that these historics are investments and they are investing rather than buying a relatively expensive guitar, others are borderline neurotic and should never ever buy anything used.

Pickups, caps and pots are not mods afaic. As long as the originals are in the case are put back before the sale, it shouldn’t make bit of difference. Frankly, i might even pay a little more for an R9 with upgraded pots caps and boutique pickups from the likes of Ox4, Rewind, Throbak, etc.

I think we agree on a lot of points that you made . R9's are not vintage guitars and there price tags make that point . They are a good working guitar with a tone that you do pay an upgrade for versus the USA line and Swiss cheese Les Paul's . Even Vintage guitars have broken solder joints when PAF's have been removed . Collectors are a different breed and to each there own as there are enough guitars to go around for everyone . I buy R9's and R8's to play .

djcmusician

I would spend some time playing the guitar first before changing anything. However, I'm not a fan of AIII mag custombuckers in the bridge.