• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dot marker under trapezoid inlay

opdev

Hi,

I saw this LP fingerboard with a missing trapezoid inlay (12th fret). Underneath it looks like another fingerbaord and a round inlay. Year is 1954. I edited this because the "dot" is actually just wood , not an inlay). It seems to be the wood underneath from the neck and the dot is ever so slightly raised.

Is this normal?

This is a MINT 1954

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ILI2mw5" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/ILI2mw5"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

fred dons

perhaps Gibson used a wooden dowel to ensure the fingerboard stayed in place when glueing down the fingerboard?

opdev

perhaps Gibson used a wooden dowel to ensure the fingerboard stayed in place when glueing down the fingerboard?

Must be it since this is definitely into the neck and 100% through the fingerboard. Pretty neat feature I've never seen before.