• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Binding Plastics Question

Bruce R

I am curious as to the nature of the binding material used on primarily the 50's Gibsons, let's say the Les Paul models in this case, and how they changed over the course of the years.

Please correct if/when I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

- Gibson (they) they first used Cellulose on the neck binding and the body.

- Then, they started using using "Royalite" on the body while continuing to use Cellulose on the neck.

- At some point in time (70's?, 80's?) they began using the creme-colored ABS on the body & neck binding.

- Finally, in 2015 the Custom Shop reverted to using Cellulose on the necks and Royalite on the tops/bodies, while Gibson USA continues to use ABS on neck and bodies.

Again, I am asking because I would like to know the real story and when they changed, if possible. Thanks for helping me out.

Bruce R

As of this time 185 people have read the thread and nobody knows anything on this subject? Oh, well, I thought perhaps some of it was common knowledge. Any input will help.

Last edited: