• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970 Hagstrom LP

THRobinson

Hey guys... just grabbed an old 1970 Hagstrom LP. In 1970 they were called an LP and for very obvious/legal reasons changed the name to Swede the following year. From the serial though, this is the 3rd one ever made, so that's kinda cool.

It's in very good shape, sadly some original bits like pickups and knobs have gone missing... main issue though is that 80% of the neck binding is gone. Like a Les Paul, although the binding is thinner it also has the nibs on the ends of the frets. The frets on this are in great shape, but literally spaghetti sized. Never seen frets so thin and short. Almost didn't see the nibs they're so tiny.

The guitar finish is debatable... it's thin and you can start to feel the texture of the wood. Not sure if for the first year this is what they did, did it wear down, or was it stripped...

Right now it's sitting waiting for my workshop to be finished before I start anything on it. Just gathering info and feedback for now.

I was trying to find info about the original fret size to see if these are correct, how worn they are etc, when I came across "fretless wonder" frets in '70s Les Pauls and wondered maybe these are the same? I mean, it was a copy afterall.

Anyone have specs on the '70s frets used by Gibson? both fretless wonder and standard?

As much as I want to keep this guitar as original as possible, with as much missing as there is, and if that finish was stripped... then I may as well look at it as a project vs historic restoration, and put some nicer frets in while I'm at it.

Q0ptOUF.jpg

zacknorton

That’s a stock finish. Stock frets are similar to old Gibson’s. Not tall by any means. If it’s an early one it’ll have fret nibs on the binding.

It’s a Swede. I’ve never seen these referred to in any official capacity as anything other than The Swede.

The pickups and knobs are wrong. Should have imperial tuners, with unbranded smooth plates The serial number should be stamped onto the input jack plate.
The bridge setup looks line like an early 70’s. It seems like Not many of these made it to the states before 72/73 ?

They are Interesting guitars with a huge H shaped aluminum beam running through the neck in addition to the truss rod. I love mine. But it’s stupid heavy.

THRobinson

Yup, it's an early one... again, 3rd one ever built, doesn't get much older than that.... only 2 are older I guess.

And hey, you learned something today... 1970 Hagstrom LP, not Swede. Same guitar but, when trying to find info I did find a lot of sites saying that the 1970 was specifically an LP. Dead giveaway that this is one of them as well is that on the back it had a black plastic cap glued on with double-sided tape, size of a dime covering a single bolt. After that it was a larger almost oval shape and I believe 2 bolts.

As for the pickups and knobs being wrong... I'm guess you didn't read my full post regarding that stuff. Pickups, pickup rings, and knobs, and 2 pots are wrong. Pots will be replaced with Bourns, and all wiring redone back to original specs. Knobs and pickups, too costly to find originals so, wanted to grab from a new Hagstrom but those are also hard to find, and Hagstrom itself doesn't seem to return emails. Pickups rings though were unique and had a cool lip on the inside and I would love to find a set of those. I found a site that sells vintage parts and some remakes... emailed 2-days ago... still no reply.

Not sure about USA import either, I'm in Canada so, guess we got them sooner.

zacknorton

1970? Crazy. And very cool.

Never seen them referenced anywhere as an lp. There were a couple great hagstrom sites but both have gone dark. Never heard mention of it there either. I believe you but haven’t seen that used.

The original pickup surrounds are cool looking but super prone to breaking.

Mine’s a 72/73??? And has 2 bolts under the neck pocket cover.

Mine’s all stock except for me re-wiring it to 50’s style. The original pickups are weird. Bright.
Apparently the Swedes really loved using slot head screws.

Do you know anything about the hagstrom/guild distribution and parts sharing scenario??

THRobinson

Funny enough, that link you just posted, halfway down "Hagstrom 1970 Swede "LP" Les Paul" :)

I am trying to join the Facebook group but they're taking their sweet time accepting the request. The one site for parts, not responded yet after a few days... they have some CNC'd remakes like pick-plates. Site looks like it was done in the '90s to be honest, and at the top it says they have parts, and all the parts are listed out of stock. Very disappointed that Hagstrom itself hasn't replied back, but, with the virus and such I don't know what the staff situation is right now.

The new pickup rings don't look like the old ones which sucks... I see a lot of broken ones online, but had hoped Hagstrom still used the shape, just better plastic.

Pickup wise, I was looking at their '58s... or they have a set designed to sound like the '70s pickups called "Number 2" I think, designed by this guy

https://lundgren.se/en/

NAMM 2012 Show mentions them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZTC0LmYXqE&t=358s

Knobs are oddly hard to find.... new ones look like the old, but no one selling them. Unlike most modern made guitars, seems like Hagstrom buyers keep stuff stock.

zacknorton

I posted that link because of the 1970 lp Swede!!

Knobs. Crazy spendy.

Hope it rolls your way!

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Neat! What does the switch on the lower bout control? Does each pickup have its own push-in on/off switch?

Dave P

I was fixing up my brother's Swede 10-15 years ago, it was missing a couple of the Van Gent tuners. I found some guy in the Netherlands that sold me a couple, too bad I don't remember who it was.