• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1954 Goldtop with missing “Les Paul” silkscreen logo

SteelEdge

Hi guys!

I have a good opportunity buying a very clean all original except for a strap button 1954 Goldtop Les Paul.

There is no “Les Paul” silkscreen logo in the headstock, and the seller, who is a nice old man with a very good reputation as vintage guitar dealer, told me that “On early gold tops, the ‘Les Paul’ logo was sometimes not there. On later ones it got much more consistent.It can fade away as its only a silk screen, just don’t know with this.We can’t see if it was there, a black light shows nothing really.”

I never heard about missing logo in early goldtops (I’m not any kind if expert, tho), is there any literature or info about that?

Anyway, even if it was wiped off (these silkscreen logos are delicate),does it have a big impact on value? Don’t think so myself, but I’d like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!!!!

MikeSlub

Administrator
Anything is possible, but I haven’t seen any without the silk screen. Is everything else completely right? Anything unusual can affect resale. Think about it - you are questioning it, and so will other buyers. :hank

Jumping@Shadows

I have only ever seen this on factory refinished Les Pauls done post ‘61 and pre ‘68 in the period when Les no longer had the ‘signature’ guitar contract, as obviously they would not be putting his name on any guitars until he ‘re-endorsed’ the model in ‘68.
I’m not suggesting your guitar is such a refin, just offering an observation from my own in-hand experience.

SteelEdge

I have only ever seen this on factory refinished Les Pauls done post ‘61 and pre ‘68 in the period when Les no longer had the ‘signature’ guitar contract, as obviously they would not be putting his name on any guitars until he ‘re-endorsed’ the model in ‘68.
I’m not suggesting your guitar is such a refin, just offering an observation from my own in-hand experience.

Appreciate!

Nah, clearly not refinished, guitar is untouched as seen in the black light, most probably thing is that it was rubbed through the years by cleaning or something.....

Jumping@Shadows

Do you have pics of the whole guitar you can share? A guitar refinished in the ‘60s at Gibson (ot anywhere really..), will black light as original now, I’m fact a modern finish will react after a surprisingly short time fwiw.

SteelEdge

Do you have pics of the whole guitar you can share? A guitar refinished in the ‘60s at Gibson (ot anywhere really..), will black light as original now, I’m fact a modern finish will react after a surprisingly short time fwiw.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1532.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 64

fakejake

Maybe a previous owner didn't like the look of the logo, or didn't want Les' name on his guitar, so he rubbed it off?
FWIW I had a couple of signature guitars, and wherever easily possible, I removed or exchanged a part that identified the guitar as such, like trussrod covers, pickguards, etc.

sws1

Can you look at it from all angles, and get some reflected light on it? Maybe it's there, but worn off? (Although that headstock doesn't look like anyone put any wear on it.)

SteelEdge

Finally bought it.

I asked to several Gibson vintage experts, sent pics, black light pics, etc.

Guitar is 100% legit and original except for a strap button.Also, comes from very respected dealer and with a letter of provenance. Definitely, the logo was rubbed / wiped off, probably cleaning or something through the years.

Lots of pics !: http://davidjpym.com/page366.html