• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Painting the Binding on a LP

Mustang Martigan

I need a recommendation for the type of paint, and any other applicant needed, to paint the binding on my Goldtop LP.
Are there two different shades of cream that Gibson uses? In pictures it seems like there're Goldtops with light and dark cream binding, as well as white. Mine looks like the dark cream.

Will undertaking this project be as big a pain in the ass as it ssems? I'm guessing that I'd have to sand the current coat before applying a lighter color. That alone sounds mind numbing.

Thanks.

Bruce R

Curious as to why you would paint over the binding?

What year is your guitar?

Yes, Gibson used (apparently) three different bindings (and colors) on their guitars. Other than on the post-2015 Historics where they replicate the bindings on the 50's guitars, they use the cream-colored ABS material. All USA guitars still use it.

I will be posting soon asking when Gibson started using the ABS material so hopefully someone can share some information on it.

Mustang Martigan

Curious as to why you would paint over the binding?

What year is your guitar?

Yes, Gibson used (apparently) three different bindings (and colors) on their guitars. Other than on the post-2015 Historics where they replicate the bindings on the 50's guitars, they use the cream-colored ABS material. All USA guitars still use it.

I will be posting soon asking when Gibson started using the ABS material so hopefully someone can share some information on it.

It's a 2001 Classic. It plays and sounds amazing, but the darker cream binding n pickguard makes my eyes a bit wonky. I've decided against it.. not in the mood too take on the hassle. It's alright tho. I still still love it.. when it's your own.......

Bruce R

I hear you. I have two Historics, an '06 R8 and an '07 TV Special, and they both have that cream-colored ABS binding. Hard to believe that it took Gibson until 2015 until they started putting the right neck binding on their high-end guitars!

A 2001 Classic is a great guitar so enjoy it!

Mustang Martigan

I hear you. I have two Historics, an '06 R8 and an '07 TV Special, and they both have that cream-colored ABS binding. Hard to believe that it took Gibson until 2015 until they started putting the right neck binding on their high-end guitars!

A 2001 Classic is a great guitar so enjoy it!

Oh damn, I just Googled a 2015 Goldtop.. ya, that's the color right there. The Classics also have that Green Abalone (well, greenish something) instead of the White for the fretboard markers. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the binding.

You are right tho, once I get passed the gross binding, my new baby is dripping in the more important details of sound and feel. I'm surprised how much I like the high output Doug Aldrich Suhr pickups that the last guy installed. I ordered a set of Mojotone '59 Clones immediately after buying the LP on Reverb, but I've been delaying the install. I've been having too much fun messing around with heavy distortion n fuzz sounds while I still got these high outputs in there.

Bruce R

The greenish inlays were Gibson's attempt at providing an "aged" look, I guess. Any competent tech can easily replace those with more accurate ones. Those inlays bother me more than the binding color (which bugs me, too!)

Mustang Martigan

The greenish inlays were Gibson's attempt at providing an "aged" look, I guess. Any competent tech can easily replace those with more accurate ones. Those inlays bother me more than the binding color (which bugs me, too!)

No way! What total genius came up with that power move?! Cuz shit.. I know when I get a new guitar with beautiful white inlays there's that constant itch towards the back of my brain.. it's the itch of anticipation for the day when the patina causes those cool white inlays to look like bile.

Do you have any idea of what an inlay swap costs?

I've noticed that the binding looks much brighter in a fully lit room. If I didn't now know that it's a darker cream, I'd probably start to wonder if it's just a property of the binding.

I wonder if changing to the light cream pickguard would help the issue, or just make it more noticeable.

Bruce R

I have no idea what a tech would charge for the inlay swap, but it would be worth tracking down a guy in your area and picking their brain. The inlays run from about $60 and up.

In those days the plastics color was nowhere near the shades of the 50's Les Pauls - and even those varied a bit. I bought an '06 Historic R8 and the plastics were horrid, nowhere close! These days they are correct and the parts are easily obtained. On this Forum, in the Gibson Historics/Custom Shop Pub, there is an excellent thread on the plastics. Some of those retro parts shops are no longer in business but many people sell them. I like this guy:

http://www.mojoaxe.com/

Check it out. If you like the guitar I would advise it.

PS - My R8 has red bleeding into the binding finish on the neck.

Last edited: