• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Lucille second hand or Gisbon original Les Paul standard 50 new ?

Guido_59

I have sold my Maton EBG 808TE TOMMY EMMANUEL and effects, so I'm ready to buy new electric guitar.
Gibson Lucille second hand or Les Paul standard 50 new ? This is the question , Hamlet said.
Ok this is very different guitar, not for weight.
I'm a fun of the King since log ago and I had Epiphone Lucille in the past so own the original is a dream for me.
I have found in my favourite shop a second hand Gibson Lucille for 2200€=2400$ and they tell me that is in very mint condition.
They also tell name that have some new Gibson Les Paul standard 50 ( I prefer for burstbucker) or 60 for about 2000€=2180$
Also original Les Paul standard is another of my dreams.
I know they are different and maybe Les Paul keep its value for years more than Lucille.
Maybe with good setting I get a B B KING tone also on Les Paul.
This is and hard choice both guitar are my dreams.
Lucille a little bit more cause was the guitar of the great B B KING and hearing again his music I did restart to play guitar
Can you help me in choice before I take time to see both guitar and play face to face to decide.
What pro and cons of this two Fabulous guitars?

Big Al

Your call. Your choice, both are great. Your dream, your choice. Can't go wrong.

jrgtr42

Like Al said, they're both great guitars, you really can't go wrong with either of them.
However, they are very different machines - and I think it does depend on what music you generally play.
Not saying either can't be used can't be used for any kind of music, but they have different tones.
If they're in the same shop, go. PLay them side by side. See what floats your boat.

Guido_59

Thanks guys . I know well Lucille because I had cheap version by Epiphone and love It. Originale Gibson is one of my dreams. I play 70% blues and I live B B King music and style.
Les Paul standard is a great guitar and maybe keep its of slue for many years.
This is an hard choice . Fortunately both are in the same shop ,my favourite, so I'll go and play it side by side to decide.
My hearth says; Lucille
My brain says: Les Paul standard , more value on the future

Big Al

Thanks guys . I know well Lucille because I had cheap version by Epiphone and love It. Originale Gibson is one of my dreams. I play 70% blues and I live B B King music and style.
Les Paul standard is a great guitar and maybe keep its of slue for many years.
This is an hard choice . Fortunately both are in the same shop ,my favourite, so I'll go and play it side by side to decide.
My hearth says; Lucille
My brain says: Les Paul standard , more value on the future

You have the value wrong. Lucille would be better $$$ investment, imo. Are you buying a guitar or a coin? Invest in the thing that makes you happy.

Guido_59

You are right. I have some difficulty in language to explain well my thoughts.
I mean is probably Les Paul standard keep better it's value for more time than Lucille in future selling for many people
I'm according you about Lucille value for its story and because it's out of production.
Lucille that I have found is series with Lucille write on headstock and not version with name B B King and crown on headstock or the 80's anniversary.

The Guitar Hunter

My vote is Lucille. I had one a few years ago and regret selling it. You can always find another LP, down the road.
Either way you'll be happy, but find the guitar that will make you happy now and work on finding a way to get the other one down the road.

El Gringo

Greetings , My vote would be for the Lucille - B.B. King guitar . I am also a big B.B. King fan and Les Paul's are out there for sure . Also as others have said to try before you buy . Best wishes !