• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1967 Gibson ES-335, Reverb Listing

marshall1987

Re-neck, IMO. Things were hectic at Gibson in 67 and weird stuff occurred but that serial is not OK. It was stamped off center and it was done one number at a time by eye which is why the digits don't line up. That also explains the big heel. Like to see a photo of the neck pickup route. That'll show a re-neck.

So you're saying it was customary for Gibson to re-neck a guitar at the factory, then stamp the S/N, off center, one number at a time, by eye?

marshall1987

Shouldnt the 67 have a narrow nut and neck? Also, the head stock shape is questionable.. but for me, the body arching under the neck pu is missing and flat like they started making them in the 80's.. which is a dead give away that this body isnt a 67,, One might expect one or two inconsistencies, but this one has a few too many for a judgement online. Would like to see side profile pics and full shot top to bottom and back as well as pickup cavities..

I noticed this too. A vintage '67 ES-335 neck pickup (in it's mounting ring) normally rests at a slight downward angle, dipping down and slanting at the end of the neck. The P/U side with pole pieces sits lower than the slug side.

I'm not seeing the pickup slanting characteristic on the "under-the-bed" 1967 ES-335. :dang

Last edited:

Flogger

The crown inlay started dropping in 66, mine is in the intermediate position before it finally settled even lower in 66-67.

OKGuitar

I don't see how anybody can tell the angle that the pickup is sitting against the top from the photos posted. Also, it tends to vary. I've flipped the ring on lots of them to flatten out the pickup but haven't had to on many others. Nothing tells me the body isn't Gibson. The neck? Not so much. When Gibson would do a re-neck they would generally use a larger font than normal for the new serial number to indicate that it was re-necked. The one by one misaligned numbers doesn't say Gibson to me. As far as the finish goes, I've had a couple of guitars that were renecked at Gibson and they absolutely nailed the finish at the heel. It is entirely possible that the neck was broken before the guitar received any significant wear and maybe, during the time it was being re-necked, the owner lost interest in learning to play.

I've seen stranger things-like a 66 Strat that I bought from he original owner. He was just learning to play and broke the high E string and couldn't get the new one on, so he shoved the guitar under the bed with 5 strings and a pack of extra strings in the case with a buggered up high E string. It sat there for more than 50 years until he finally decided to sell it. He brought it to my shop and told me the story. Beginners are very easily discouraged and a neck break on your brand new 67 335 might well do that.

marshall1987

Does this help?

When I enlarge and enhance the photo, it's clear the pickup ring is not rotated around 180 degrees. I also see the chrome pickup cover nearly level with the end of the fingerboard. There is no discernible slanting of the neck pickup.

marshall1987

So far with this Reverb listing, $7,500, near-mint, "under-the-bed", 1967 ES-335, we have the majority group consensus claiming:

1. Looks good; don't see anything off or odd; it's legit.

2. Why go to the trouble to fake a '67?

3. Headstock, crown inlay, and Gibson logo.... all correct, looks fine.

4. Big rounded neck heel, no problem, that's not unusual, probably a '68.

5. It's a re-neck, with an off-center, misaligned S/N, stamped one number at a time, by eye. ..... there might be a reasonable reason for that.

6. It is NOT Gibson factory re-necked.

And the list goes on and on..........:hmm

My purpose in highlighting this particular Reverb listing is not to embarrass folks; rather, it's to caution and educate the LPF community to be very skeptical of ALL vintage guitars advertised on Reverb, eBay, Gbase. Take nothing at face value. Insist on high resolution photos of crucial guitar components. Demand a return policy, and above all...... Trust no one. :dang

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

AFAIK the serial numbers were stamped by a rotary stamp. That stamp isn't perfect. Those little rotary dials are wonky and you just stick the neck in the press. If a dial is off you still press it if not paying attention.

First couple '67's on Reverb:

okkht3klv0awkevohpcs.jpg

uthkwqsj2o6uayyayjkl.jpg

Some serious slop..

marshall1987

I don't see how anybody can tell the angle that the pickup is sitting against the top from the photos posted. Also, it tends to vary. I've flipped the ring on lots of them to flatten out the pickup but haven't had to on many others. Nothing tells me the body isn't Gibson. The neck? Not so much. When Gibson would do a re-neck they would generally use a larger font than normal for the new serial number to indicate that it was re-necked. The one by one misaligned numbers doesn't say Gibson to me. As far as the finish goes, I've had a couple of guitars that were renecked at Gibson and they absolutely nailed the finish at the heel. It is entirely possible that the neck was broken before the guitar received any significant wear and maybe, during the time it was being re-necked, the owner lost interest in learning to play.

I can.......PM me if you want to know how.

garywright

I don't see how anybody can tell the angle that the pickup is sitting against the top from the photos posted.

+1 ...and I’m sure not gonna send a PM to anyone who creates a thread then asks to provide information offline and not share publicly

Last edited: