• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Normal crack?

britbender

If you like how it plays, sounds and so on, keep it !
If its a dud, send it back...that crack wouldn't bother me, there will be more with age and use.

BigA

If you like how it plays, sounds and so on, keep it !
If its a dud, send it back...that crack wouldn't bother me, there will be more with age and use.

I’m keeping it.

I took it into the store today. They said it was a finish crack because of a screw turn too many, but were happy to swap or refund me if that’s what I wanted.

The other 50s gold top in-stock had a noticeable ding on the neck binding at the 6th fret that you’d feel every time you grabbed the guitar, so no deal there...and the cherry sunburst, while pretty, IMO didn’t play as well as the gold top I brought in. They said if it really bothers me Gibson would likely re-finish it.

I think I’ll keep her as is and start the process of adding more character....

Again, I appreciate the help and responses.

Trans-Am

I’m keeping it.

I took it into the store today. They said it was a finish crack because of a screw turn too many, but were happy to swap or refund me if that’s what I wanted.

The other 50s gold top in-stock had a noticeable ding on the neck binding at the 6th fret that you’d feel every time you grabbed the guitar, so no deal there...and the cherry sunburst, while pretty, IMO didn’t play as well as the gold top I brought in. They said if it really bothers me Gibson would likely re-finish it.

Hey man, If you can live with it since it looks like it's under the p/g when it's installed (Only you and will know really) :hee.....ask for a discount instead? I would as later down the road most likely you will add a ding here and there so it wouldn't really matter anymore. At least you got a discount and it ain't the so called " Seconds or B Stock " Enjoy her man. Hard to lose a good thing you have been attached to already.

Cheers!

Big Al

I’m keeping it.

It's always been your choice, so play on and enjoy.

SeanT

Gibson sprays Lacquer that contains plastisizer which is flexible. After 20 years of hard playing, my R9 has dings and scars but no lacquer check.

Trans-Am

Gibson sprays Lacquer that contains plastisizer which is flexible. After 20 years of hard playing, my R9 has dings and scars but no lacquer check.

Yup it's a clean hazy finish that you will be the only one to add the dings and dongs all you want to get it to a real relic sensation all your own doing if you will yeah!:dude:

KR1

Over-torque on a fine-threaded screw isn’t going to crack new lacquer. It cracks the wood (which cracks the lacquer).

Big deal/Little deal: up to the owner, obviously.