• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Normal crack?

BigA

Hi All,

New to the forum. A month ago, I decided to pull the trigger on a new 50s goldtop standard. My first real LP, and so far I’ve been loving it!
Yesterday when I was changing strings,I took the pick guard off for the first time to see how it looked. I discovered a crack coming from the bottom right screw of the neck pickup. It’s totally hidden under the pick guard but noticeable in the open.
I live in Southern California. The guitar has not been exposed to extreme weather conditions, played particularly hard or dropped.
Does this seem like something normal? To my knowledge it was a brand new guitar, straight from the dealer.
Thanks

Attachments

• F755888E-7630-439F-A8FC-B3520640C200.jpg
    F755888E-7630-439F-A8FC-B3520640C200.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 86580DC8-8993-4665-B059-DA3CD5C0339F.jpg
    86580DC8-8993-4665-B059-DA3CD5C0339F.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 143

mdubya

Hi All,

New to the forum. A month ago, I decided to pull the trigger on a new 50s goldtop standard. My first real LP, and so far I’ve been loving it!
Yesterday when I was changing strings,I took the pick guard off for the first time to see how it looked. I discovered a crack coming from the bottom right screw of the neck pickup. It’s totally hidden under the pick guard but noticeable in the open.
I live in Southern California. The guitar has not been exposed to extreme weather conditions, played particularly hard or dropped.
Does this seem like something normal? To my knowledge it was a brand new guitar, straight from the dealer.
Thanks

That is a positive sign to many of us. That means the nitro is hard enough to crack and check, which is desirable from a historically accurate perspective.

BigA

That is a positive sign to many of us. That means the nitro is hard enough to crack and check, which is desirable from a historically accurate perspective.

Thanks. That’s kind of what I figured. I knew I’d see em eventually, and I’m ready to put my own marks of use on it, just didn’t think checking would start so soon.

So nothing to worry about? Do you think it came from the factory like that?

AJCR

Places like screw holes are often where this stuff starts from. Mainly as they are drilled after the finish has been applied, and therefore expose raw wood to environmental elements.

Big Al

Nope, not desirable or normal, imo. You do see this kind of thing more often in goldtops for some reason, but I'd be unhappy about it in a new 1 month old guitar. Unless you're one of those, kracks are soooo kewl!!, like the trashed look rat rod types, I'd say if it bothers you, take it back now. Not later.

It looks to be a finish issue and not structural, so it is only a cosmetic finish concern. Your call, but you need to make that call now.

gibson-r8

That isn’t the kind of finish checking I would accept in a new guitar. I agree (as usual) with Big Al.. take it back if possible.

mdubya

If you put the pick guard back on, that crack will disappear.

Have you checked the control cavity for flaws? :peace2

Musicman

Nope, not desirable or normal, imo. You do see this kind of thing more often in goldtops for some reason, but I'd be unhappy about it in a new 1 month old guitar. Unless you're one of those, kracks are soooo kewl!!, like the trashed look rat rod types, I'd say if it bothers you, take it back now. Not later.

It looks to be a finish issue and not structural, so it is only a cosmetic finish concern. Your call, but you need to make that call now.

I agree with Big Al. If you can live with it at least get a partial refund or send it back.

Tarcisioo

Read the responses here and you will understand why Gibson can but doesn't really use harder nitro. Lots of guys would take a perfectly fine guitar back because of the most minor sign of "my guitar wasn't bought yesterday". It's checking and it's under the pickguard. Yet people are telling OP to take it back "now and not later".

If Gibson used nitro like the old ones, the amount of money they would loose by people returning their guitars would certainly break the company again. It's 2020 I guess :##

mdubya

Read the responses here and you will understand why Gibson can but doesn't really use harder nitro. Lots of guys would take a perfectly fine guitar back because of the most minor sign of "my guitar wasn't bought yesterday". It's checking and it's under the pickguard. Yet people are telling OP to take it back "now and not later".

If Gibson used nitro like the old ones, the amount of money they would loose by people returning their guitars would certainly break the company again. It's 2020 I guess :##

I totally understand. Gibson does plenty wrong, but this is a case of can't win.

Who looks for flaws under the pick guard?

It is all I can do to get a new guitar out of the case and plugged in without dribbling all over myself. Dis-assembly and fine tooth combing with a magnifier never happens for me. I understand, everyone is different.

I would gladly buy one of these examples that is showing signs of checking. I am just that kind of fool. :peace2

BigA

Hey guys,

I appreciate all of the responses. It may seem like I was looking for problems, but I like the no pick guard look. My Epi LP has mostly had the pick guard off for the 20 years I’ve had it, and I’d just finished watching an old Allman video of Dickey Betts so I was curious to see how this gold top looked, and happened to notice the crack.

After I posted yesterday, I also sent the pictures to a friend who plays guitar professionally. He also thought it was normal nitro checking and told me to expect more as I played it.

As I’m in a window to return it, I’ve reached out to the dealer to see what they say. Still not sure what I want to do. It’d be a lot easier to live with if they can send a few bucks back my way...;)

Cheers,
A

deytookerjaabs

Yeah, I don't know if that's regular ole checking. It looks very similar to what I had last year in a 2019 P90 dot that I returned which looked like checking at first but on the clear areas of the finish I could see it was actually a bit of wood splitting. Veneers being different and all I'd still be worried there is a split under the finish coming off of the screw hole area causing those little check lines.

Texas Blues

Hi All,

Thanks

You're asking the wrong question.

How does the guitar play.

How does it sound?

If it sounds and plays like 2 grand a night hot redhead twin Vegas hookers.

Showing up at your room with a briefcase full of cash.

A gallon ziplock bag of blow.

And 2 bottles of tequila.

I'd pay it no mind.

If it sounds and plays like an urban.

Homeless crackhead pushing a stolen grocery cart full of empty bottles and cardboard.

I'd say return it and get your money back.

Big Al

Really? I think you know very little about lacquer, hard or soft. SOFT?? Just because your head is full of this new internet/forums fed mania for vintage guitar wannabee's obsessions with weather checks and other wear issues of simulated wear due to age makes you moist, it is not acceptable in a new month old guitar. Under the pickguard or not, it is on the top.

Even in the good old days this would be unacceptable. WTF! kind of brainwashed bullshit are you regurgitating here anyway? Under the guard is the same as under the control plate inside the guitar? 'Cause maybe someone wants to do a Duane Allman on his brand new guitar, he should rejoice at the sight of a large finish crack cause you think it's cool??? Complaining about an obvious large stress crack, which may lead to flaking or chips on the face may hurt Gibson or ruin them? That this in any way equates to a screw finish dimple or other blown up micro marks or flaws, that are all to often posted here and rightly dismissed as overly anal, is showing an opinion as ugly as that crack.

Again, this is not normal weather check, not an acceptable or expected occurrence on a 30 day old guitar, the op isn't looking for issues and I'd be upset if it was mine. The op may decide it's no big deal and live with it, but he shouldn't be shamed into it or made to. It is his choice and I can't believe I have to explain this.

mdubya

Really? I think you know very little about lacquer, hard or soft. SOFT?? Just because your head is full of this new internet/forums fed mania for vintage guitar wannabee's obsessions with weather checks and other wear issues of simulated wear due to age makes you moist, it is not acceptable in a new month old guitar. Under the pickguard or not, it is on the top.

Even in the good old days this would be unacceptable. WTF! kind of brainwashed bullshit are you regurgitating here anyway? Under the guard is the same as under the control plate inside the guitar? 'Cause maybe someone wants to do a Duane Allman on his brand new guitar, he should rejoice at the sight of a large finish crack cause you think it's cool??? Complaining about an obvious large stress crack, which may lead to flaking or chips on the face may hurt Gibson or ruin them? That this in any way equates to a screw finish dimple or other blown up micro marks or flaws, that are all to often posted here and rightly dismissed as overly anal, is showing an opinion as ugly as that crack.

Again, this is not normal weather check, not an acceptable or expected occurrence on a 30 day old guitar, the op isn't looking for issues and I'd be upset if it was mine. The op may decide it's no big deal and live with it, but he shouldn't be shamed into it or made to. It is his choice and I can't believe I have to explain this.

You are a true joy. :salude

Tarcisioo

Bulshit.

Finish cracks don't come with age (abstract), but with milage (pratical). OP guitar may be a month old, but it only needs a few hours of exposure to climate variables to develop cracks. This is scientific crap, not some old guitar dude wisdom taken from very deep in their... brain I guess :laugh2:

Rory Gallagher strat (1961) was bought in 1963 mint, and in 1966 was already really beaten up. In three years it aged so much. Some 60 years Les Pauls are mint to this day. This is the magic of science, that you don't need to believe in other people BS.

If it was MY guitar, I guess I would live with it pretty easy, as I (same as OP) like my LPs without the pickguard (it's more comfortable for finger playing), so my nails mess up the finish quite easy. Tons of scratches on my Les Pauls at the pickguard area, my nails imprints are all over. This main finish crack wouldn't take long to blend in with all the scratches

The pictures aren't great and the issue is not very clear, so be doubtful of those who are so blind confident of their responses. To some, fever believing you're right is more important than being sober and careful on their assessments, wich leads to better judgement IMO. René Descartes must be ashamed in his grave.

KR1

Glad to see you back on the air, Brother (!).

I totally agree with you. I have actually never seen any Les Paul exhibit that type of a crack in that position on the guitar top - old, new, "Historic," etc. There is something really odd-looking there and it's almost as though the route was re-worked after finishing but most likely, someone really over-torqued the pickup ring mounting screw, the wood flexed (cracked), and the plastic was likely replaced.

This is NOT weather-checkinG

Edit: Just looked again on a decent monitor: Screw over-torque, split top wood.

Last edited:

Trans-Am

These things happens all the time, wherever you are hot or cold. It's the guitar adjusting to the climate zone etc.
Sometimes it will start from the top body bottom edges and work itself up. Maybe too tight of an install from the factory and reacted to the climate. Hmmm!

My 2001 GT STD had a few hairline crazing. When I first saw it after certain period of time i said :bigal and the followed it with " Oh Well " adds character and now you can just add a few more yourself rather than the itself. All good, unless its within warranty period etc. and you can pull string with Gibson depending how nice they are or the store you got it from.

Just play her to bits as it would be different if it was a CUSTOM one off limited edition you want to display and look at instead of playing.:biggrin:

Besides it's hidden under the p/g anyways so only you will know? hehe! Have fun mate and that is a nice GT there.

Cheers!

Big Al

Bulshit.

Finish cracks don't come with age (abstract), but with milage (pratical). OP guitar may be a month old, but it only needs a few hours of exposure to climate variables to develop cracks. This is scientific crap, not some old guitar dude wisdom taken from very deep in their... brain I guess :laugh2:

Rory Gallagher strat (1961) was bought in 1963 mint, and in 1966 was already really beaten up. In three years it aged so much. Some 60 years Les Pauls are mint to this day. This is the magic of science, that you don't need to believe in other people BS.

If it was MY guitar, I guess I would live with it pretty easy, as I (same as OP) like my LPs without the pickguard (it's more comfortable for finger playing), so my nails mess up the finish quite easy. Tons of scratches on my Les Pauls at the pickguard area, my nails imprints are all over. This main finish crack wouldn't take long to blend in with all the scratches

The pictures aren't great and the issue is not very clear, so be doubtful of those who are so blind confident of their responses. To some, fever believing you're right is more important than being sober and careful on their assessments, wich leads to better judgement IMO. René Descartes must be ashamed in his grave.

Who you trying to convince with bullshit, pepe?I toured and played over 30 yrs, coast to coast, sea level to 8,000 ft, all 4 seasons and I dare you to show me finish cracks on any guitar I used. It ain't normal on a new guitar and that isn't a weather check, it's a stress crack. Finish flaking to follow. Where is Rory's Strat checked, he beat the shit outta it. Dragging it on the floor and flipping, ....

WTF!!! Pretend wannabe rock stars with your fashionable fake ass distressed bullshit phoney vibe vamps.