• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New to Les Paul Guitars - Need Some Purchasing Advice

W201

Greetings All,

Hope everyone is doing well. Recently Ive been given an opportunity to purchase a Les Paul. I’m completely new to Gibson’s, so I want to make sure that I’m not over paying for the guitar which seems like a super reasonable price. However I did a little research and something with the serial number isn’t adding up, so I’m already starting to see red flags..hopefully someone here can shine some light.

from what I’ve read on the Gibson website, in 1975 till they implemented 8 digit serial numbers, which lasted until 2005 when they began using 9 digits. The guitar I’m looking at has 8 digits 00865566, and that makes no sense to me, as the first and fifth digits are the production year, which would make it an 05, but then it should have 9 digits.

If that confuses anyone I can show pictures, the guitar looks like a sunburst, headstock reads Gibson Les Paul model on the front and the serial number with made in the USA on the back. The tuning machines read Gibson Deluxe

Thanks in Advance
W201

The Guitar Hunter

Hello,

If you have photos, please post them. Also, have you asked yourself why you want a Gibson vs another guitar or is it replacing one you already own?
Have you played a Gibson before? If so, you shouldn't have to ask us if you should buy it, you should know. You can ask if the guitar is legit etc... but we can't judge if a guitar is right for you.

W201

Hello,

If you have photos, please post them. Also, have you asked yourself why you want a Gibson vs another guitar or is it replacing one you already own?
Have you played a Gibson before? If so, you shouldn't have to ask us if you should buy it, you should know. You can ask if the guitar is legit etc... but we can't judge if a guitar is right for you.

Hello- I know I want to buy it. I own other guitars, mainly fenders, and I have played Les Pauls, but they've been out of my price range until now. So once this opportunity jumped at me it's to good to pass up. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure if it's legit, which is why I'm posting here. I have purchased several items from the same fella that's selling this guitar, and he was selling a Fender Stratocaster which he didn't know was a fake, it was made to look like a 50's Strat with low serial number. But I have also purchased several legitimate items from him as well...He's actually selling a large musical collection for someone who passed. So let me know what you think. On to the pictures...
7ygZEhN.jpg

HqDd6DX.jpg

Fjgn0vs.jpg

rjGdwyP.jpg

Big Al

Not a 75, not even 20th Century. That is much more recent.

TexasFM3

Greetings All,

Hope everyone is doing well. Recently Ive been given an opportunity to purchase a Les Paul. I’m completely new to Gibson’s, so I want to make sure that I’m not over paying for the guitar which seems like a super reasonable price. However I did a little research and something with the serial number isn’t adding up, so I’m already starting to see red flags..hopefully someone here can shine some light.

from what I’ve read on the Gibson website, in 1975 till they implemented 8 digit serial numbers, which lasted until 2005 when they began using 9 digits. The guitar I’m looking at has 8 digits 00865566, and that makes no sense to me, as the first and fifth digits are the production year, which would make it an 05, but then it should have 9 digits.

If that confuses anyone I can show pictures, the guitar looks like a sunburst, headstock reads Gibson Les Paul model on the front and the serial number with made in the USA on the back. The tuning machines read Gibson Deluxe

Thanks in Advance
W201

Say Brother -

Very nice guitar indeed - the pictures are nice. Gibson USA went to a 9 digit serial number in early in 2005 where the sixth number is now a batch number but not exactly at Jan first. Some say May others say July. Going off that serial you posted it looks like this would have been some time in March.

Rock On Brother

W201

Thank you for the info guys. So now that I know it’s the real thing, they’re asking $1,900. Is that a good asking price or above market? Is there room for me to negotiate without lowballing the guy?

thanks!

metropolis

Looks like a pretty legit 2005 Standard to me. Serial number suggests early 2005 (day 86) so could easily pre-date the switch to 9 digits.

Can't comment on price as I'm in the UK but prices are a little low right now due to the current situation, certainly over here.

W201

Looks like a pretty legit 2005 Standard to me. Serial number suggests early 2005 (day 86) so could easily pre-date the switch to 9 digits.

Can't comment on price as I'm in the UK but prices are a little low right now due to the current situation, certainly over here.

Yeah man, I’ve been snatching up quite a few items lately. But I just don’t know enough about Les Paul’s to know if I’m over paying. There’s anther guy asking $2,900 for what seems to be an identical guitar, at least to my eye, so I don’t know...maybe upgraded electronics or better woods. I asked him and he said he paid $3,600 for his standard in 2019. Prices seem to be all over the place.

The Guitar Hunter

the prices will be what the market kind of dictates for these guitars. On Reverb they're listed anywhere from $1,900 - $2,500, but the sold prices are $1,400 - $1,900, so see if he'll do $1,800 or maybe even lower :)