• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buzz on 13th Fret

Mustang Martigan

I just ordered a LP and it buzzes on the 13th fret, low E string. What would cause this? The string isn't touching the fret, the action is good. Could the fret itself be too high in that one spot? Thanks.

rick c

The question is a little confusing. If you mean that when you press the 12th fret it sounds like the 13th is buzzing, the answer is yes; it could be that the 13th fret wire is not fully seated under the low E. Does your LP have nibs? If so, it's unlikely that the fret is sticking up. Get out a credit card and use it as a rocker over the 13th fret; if it rocks each way then the fret is too high. Closely inspect the fret and compare its seating with adjacent ones; it should look the same. If you suspect that the fret is slightly high and your guitar has no nibs, very gently tap the edge of the fret down with a small hammer, supporting the neck under the fret. If you hit it too hard, you may deform the top of the fret. If you have nibs and the rocker rocks over the fret at only the low E then you are better very carefully filing down the fret and redressing it. If this is a new guitar, get the shop you bought it from to correct the problem.

Mustang Martigan

The question is a little confusing. If you mean that when you press the 12th fret it sounds like the 13th is buzzing, the answer is yes; it could be that the 13th fret wire is not fully seated under the low E. Does your LP have nibs? If so, it's unlikely that the fret is sticking up. Get out a credit card and use it as a rocker over the 13th fret; if it rocks each way then the fret is too high. Closely inspect the fret and compare its seating with adjacent ones; it should look the same. If you suspect that the fret is slightly high and your guitar has no nibs, very gently tap the edge of the fret down with a small hammer, supporting the neck under the fret. If you hit it too hard, you may deform the top of the fret. If you have nibs and the rocker rocks over the fret at only the low E then you are better very carefully filing down the fret and redressing it. If this is a new guitar, get the shop you bought it from to correct the problem.

When I try to play the 13th fret on the low e string, which would be the F note, there is a buzz.

metropolis

That would suggest the 14th fret could be high. Try the credit card / rocker trick mentioned above to see if the 14th fret is raised.

Also raise the tailpiece on the bass side to see if the problem goes away.

Mustang Martigan

That would suggest the 14th fret could be high. Try the credit card / rocker trick mentioned above to see if the 14th fret is raised.

Also raise the tailpiece on the bass side to see if the problem goes away.

Ri g t on.

Is a nib a nick the the fret?

Mustang Martigan

Nibs are were the binding covers the fret ends.

This is my first LP, I've only had Fenders, so I'm unfamiliar with binding. There's binding at the side of every fret end, but it's not on where the fret has been rounded. Is a nib when the binding extends over that rounded/filed edge? If so, then no, there aren't nibs.

Tarcisioo

This is my first LP, I've only had Fenders, so I'm unfamiliar with binding. There's binding at the side of every fret end, but it's not on where the fret has been rounded. Is a nib when the binding extends over that rounded/filed edge? If so, then no, there aren't nibs.

Yes, that's a nib, a tiny bit of binding that follows the fret ends, "extending" the fret itself. Not every Les Paul with binding has it, but I guess most of them have, it's a Gibson thing