• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

egnater??

JRF134

Hello everyone,just have a question,as I am a novice.I have a Marshall Code 25 now and I am just a bedroom player truly,practicing and learning.tiny bit of vocals too.I was looking at the egnater maybe a 20, for a good starter tube amp.Would anyone offer suggestions that they found or wished they had advice on when buying their first tube amp.I am looking for something that I will not outgrow,but will be able to add more too as I get better and more invested in playing.I am not certain i would ever gig,but i would like to get good enough one day to try.Thank you in advance.

JRF134

well did some reading on here and some other research..I am looking for anywhere from a 50 to 100 watt tube amp head with 2-3 channels and either 2 cabinets or 1 dual speaker 2 x 12 and an attenuator.That is the want it list..lets see what I can afford and find.Will post when I get it.

fred dons

you have to note that 20 watts is already quite loud, I have 2 small 15 watt lunchbox amps (evh and prs MT15) and they are loud as hell (the EVH is not really a bedroom amp, the PRS sound better than the EVH at lower volume) both I can use for playing at band rehearsals.
what sound are you going for ?

metropolis

You definitely don't need 50-100 watts and 2 cabs if you're a bedroom player unlikely to gig. I gig with a 20 watt 1x12 combo nowadays and that's still never beyond 3 on the master volume. I would suggest you look at 20 watts and lower.

mdubya

Are there buildings you are hoping to level with 50 - 100 watt tube amps?

I didn't get a tube amp until I started to gig. My little Marshall Lead 20 wasn't loud enough to keep up with the band in the days when you could actually play loud.

So I got a Marshall JCM 800 2205 50 watt channel switching amp. I never had a problem being heard ever again!

My 5 watt Champ was my practice amp for years. I used a fuzz and an OD 808 in front of it and my guitar volume to go from fuzzed out lead tones to clean-ish.

Now, I have a Fractal AX8 as my main "at home" solution. I never bother anyone and I have more incredible tone at my feet and finger tips than I ever dreamed I would have.

If I decided I had to have a nice modern amp, it would be a Suhr Badger 30 or 18. They have great power scaling and great vintage British tones and effects loops. It would honestly be a compromise over the AX8 for low volume use, though.

I still have the Champ and a 1976 Marshall JMP 2204. They sound great, but I never play them.

JRF134

I am unsure what sound really,I like bluesy old rock tones..but like it all mostly , metal ,old heavy rock tones evh,rhodes.to newer pumpkins and nirvana to soundgarden clapton to petty to zeppelin to floyd to black sabbath..so probably more old school than new school metal.I planned on using a really nice attenuator to tame the beasts so I can practice until I can gig,if I ever gig.But maybe everyone has the right perspective.I just want to try a tube as I only have a digital marshall code 25 now,,it is loud,but I think it might not be as warm or as good sounding as a tube.I will try a few when this shit finally allows me to get to a shop to try some out.Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it,,the neighbors really appreciate it.lol:spabout

Last edited:

JRF134

sorry I guess i truly dunno what I want,I just need to go try one,after reading my reply it really showed I am just not exposed to what i need to see in different tones and amps.I will just wait until things open.

renderit

Sounds to me like you want a very versatile amp.

Sometimes the easiest way to do that is to start with a relatively clean amp (and I'm tending for Fender, maybe blackface sounds) and adding the rest through the use of good pedals.

There are a few which cover more bases.

Nothing will do all of them.

You should try a Deluxe Reverb tone and if you need some dirt at low volume use some distortion pedals. Many people make very acceptable knockoffs.

Other ways to go are:

I find 59-60 Bassman tweeds at low volume to be beautiful.

There are many that are affordable from custom builders and Fender has reissued some very good versions.

I also run Knockoffs on that circuit from Richter (20 watt) and Victoria (20 watt) which are beautiful if slightly different.

Victoria Silver Sonic also has reverb onboard..

41578567144_336442a7db_z.jpg

28426903108_ed2b774ed0_3k.jpg

This one is pretty versatile with MANY different tones:

25627179187_12beade1a0_4k.jpg

40455563902_bf78de205c_4k.jpg

renderit

For making your cleaner amp like a Deluxe Reverb into a Marshall sounding amp the BEST way to go is an Origin Effects Revival Drive.

Don't know what I did with my pictures but look it up on the interweb and you will be blown away by what it does.

And last but not least, the addition of a Torpedo Live or other:
36356403642_e8ef6a7e51_3k.jpg

Will let you play with full blast sounds on your headphones. It is a load box. Replaces the speaker pretty much exactly.

JRF134

Thank you for the guidance Renderit,I am pretty new to all of the effects and amp and electronic choices.Appreciate the input.I am jonesin to get into a shop and try some different ones out and see how they sound.again,thanks.:dude:

globalist

Reading some of your comments it sounds like we're a bit alike.

My current "tube amp" is a Super Champ X2 with a Ragin Cajun speaker installed. It's from Sweetwater, they're doing an exclusive on the prebuilt one with the Eminence. The thing I liked about the Super Champ was it also has a modeling section for the times where I want a different tone.

Great sounding amp, and LOUD with that speaker. Has that fender tube sound.

Only downside is that fender discontinued the software. you don't need it to sound great but caveat emptor and such.

duaneflowers

I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head which is quite versatile and fun... be sure to check them out. :salude

7Pud94P.jpg

grimlyflick

I’m suprised no-one has mentioned the Marshall Studio range of 20w amps, I have the Jubilee and it’ll get you in the ballpark with the tones you’re looking for. I use the rhythm clip mode with the boost channel for leads and wind down my guitars volume for less gain or cleaner tones.
:salude

thejaf

Save some dough, and then take a mini-vacation and try out a bunch of amps are your nearest metropolitan area.

Another tip - going up to 50 or 100 watt design isn't just about volume. There are tonal differences even at low volume through a 4x12 cabinet. A "modern" amp with a good master volume design will sound better for YOUR music influences (hard rock and early metal) than some Fender inspired combo.

Not knocking the Fender inspired combos - they are great for many things, but not the harder rock tones of the late 70s and 80s. You'll want the tight ass sound that a closed back 4x12 and well designed power amp will give.

OldStrummer

I'm with the others: You're asking about arena rock level amps for bedroom playing. Sure, they look cool (but take up a ton of space), but they truly aren't very practical.

When I wanted a tube amp with spring reverb, I wound up buying a Monoprice 15-watt 1x12 with Celestion speaker . It has two power inputs, one for 15 watts and one for 1 watt. At the levels I play (I live alone in a disconnected townhouse), even the 1 watt does the job. It's affordable, too!

Some have said it's basically a Laney Cub at almost half the price.

metropolis

Not knocking the Fender inspired combos - they are great for many things, but not the harder rock tones of the late 70s and 80s.

Agree with that. A Marshall (or if you're in the UK I'd look at Laney) would be more suitable.