• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone get the sundragon standard ?

BurstWurst

At that price I'll never see one. Seems a little optimistic. May be a great amp, but, just sayin'.............

Nonetheless, would be interesting to get a tone report.

Edit : my search took me directly to the limited edition model. Glad to learn that the standard is a little more affordable. Regarding the limited edition, perhaps if Jimmy personally delivered the amp and stuck around for a jam session.

Last edited:

rialcnis

Anyone get a sundragon standard? What do you think? Post some pics

Seems to me, the price is double what it should be for most
customers. At half the cost they would have many customers.

I would like to buy one, but relative to other similar amps it's overpriced.

fernieite

Exactly. $3,875.00 + shipping!

Looks like I can afford the T-shirt.... :)

Last edited:

TM1

The original run with the NOS parts and valves sold out inside of 2 days. what was it... 50 amps at $24K each?

Tim

The original run with the NOS parts and valves sold out inside of 2 days. what was it... 50 amps at $24K each?

I don't remember the exact number but they around 11-12k.

Sol

When you consider that Valco/Supro's success, offering musicians superb tone at prices half that of the equivalent Fender. The current asking price instantly alienates 90% of all that would otherwise be the first in line to aquire one. Its a crying shame..

I understand the initial research to analyse the tone of his original modified Coranado took a great deal of time to perfect, and at considerable cost. But once completed, and with the benefit of modern computer modeling software, it surely can't be that hard to recreate a virtual sonic profile that can then be reproduced using either classic or modern valve/ tube circuitry at a price most guitarists could afford.

I like to think this will happen. If classic rock n roll amps become the plaything of the very wealthy we all stand to loose out, and I'm confident that no one wants that.

TM1

The Sundragon “Standard” model amplifier is our second edition of the original amplifier Jimmy Page used to create the groundbreaking sounds on Led Zeppelin 1. It is built with the same unique circuit and delivers the sound and feel of Jimmy’s 1959 Supro that was modded over 50 years ago.In order to recreate that iconic sound, we have incorporated carefully selected components and construct the amp as it was originally built with its separate preamp and power amp chassis. Each speaker is broken in to further ensure proper response. The Sundragon Standard uses original specification power and output transformers built by the actual original manufacturer. In addition, the unique circuit is built the same way as in Jimmy’s modded 1959 Supro. It is point-to-point hand-wired on terminal strips with each component soldered from one terminal to the other.

No other amp can deliver the level of accuracy of Jimmy’s sound and the satisfying distinctive tonal experience that Sundragon provides.
I know how much work has gone into building these. I think they're well worth it!

goldtop0

Retail here the Standard would be around NZ$7.5k........ or it might be trimmed down to $6995
A few years ago the 1973X retailed at $5995 when they were available and only two of those came into the country, we may see one of these, who knows:hmm
Is it a 2x10 or 1x12 as with the Limited edition?

TM1

Retail here the Standard would be around NZ$7.5k........ or it might be trimmed down to $6995
A few years ago the 1973X retailed at $5995 when they were available and only two of those came into the country, we may see one of these, who knows:hmm
Is it a 2x10 or 1x12 as with the Limited edition?

It's a 1x12"

rialcnis

They would sell so many more of them at $999.00, their profit would end up higher. Everyone would get one.

TM1

I don't set their prices.. I'm just a longtime friend of Mitch Colby's and I have a good idea how much time & effort went into this whole project. If I were in the market for an amp like this I wouldn't squabble over the price.

Ndavis1971

Just buy an old supro with a 12”. I just did for less than half the price on reverb. 1965 Model 22 in excellent shape. He probably used its predecessor—a 1624t—but no one really knows. He’s about as reliable as the narrator of Don Quixote (or the Rev Billy G for that matter) on what model he really used.

goldtop0

Just buy an old supro with a 12”. I just did for less than half the price on reverb. 1965 Model 22 in excellent shape. He probably used its predecessor—a 1624t—but no one really knows. He’s about as reliable as the narrator of Don Quixote (or the Rev Billy G for that matter) on what model he really used.

You've really got to dig and delve on some of this stuff......model of amp and the period of use etc.
Sometimes there are a lot of conflicting stories from that period as with EC and his gear........can be very confusing:hmm