• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking to buy this 1953 Goldtop, would really appreciate some insights

JPP-1

I am about to pull the trigger on what is supposed to be an original 1953
Does anything in particular standout as odd. The finish doesn’t appear to be checked, is that indicative of a refin.
I will have a short approval period for a more extensive inspection but I’d like to get some insights from the highly knowledgeable folks here on the LPF

Thank you in advance

Jh76kP.jpg

EXC73Z.jpg

jLzxLu.jpg

061qS5.jpg

0PyIRr.jpg

au_rick

Looks nice.
I believe a simple black light test would identify a refinish ?

Maxmc

Original frets? Not much wear up the neck. What's it like down the cowboy end?

Tarcisioo

I don't think checking is a sign of age, but a sign of temperature variations and the wood contracting and expanding below the nitro finish.

A one-day old guitar can check, while a 60 year old guitar can be checking free. It's all due to exposure to the right elements, in this case temperature variations

I live in a place where temperatures are 95-75F all year, no guitar will ever check in those conditions, just impossible.

JPP-1

I appreciate the comments. Here are some additional photos.

ms25KR.jpg

vHhFsf.jpg

FVj2ve.jpg

KupZFn.jpg

wlJqV5.jpg

ZHBGoY.jpg

VamboRool

Looks like it had a coiled cord in the case where the head stock would be located. Agree with doing a black light check. Get one of the wrap over replacement tailpieces and you'll be good to go.

JPP-1

Thank you kindly to everyone who has responded.
Thank you Charlie, I doubt there are too many people who know more bout vintage Les Pauls than you

A few more photos. I think they look ok. I just hope the fretboard doesn’t need any serious attention.

Qve2w4.jpg

zHJafT.png

foYQuB.jpg

pnjaGf.jpg

deytookerjaabs

This is a two step process I'm recommending:

1. Get out your credit card.

2. Post your own pics when it's at home.

JIMI55LP

It does seem odd that the headstock would be checked but not the goldtop? All the other parts look correct to me as far as these photos show. I'm thinking the top was refinished?

samsdad

It does seem odd that the headstock would be checked but not the goldtop? All the other parts look correct to me as far as these photos show. I'm thinking the top was refinished?
Looks like one Changed Tuner 5 No Lines 1 Single Line ?
Top right From Rear is the serial number crooked or is it the picture?

cjp54

Other than what’s already been said, the jack plate looks replaced. All else looks right.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Looks pretty damn jake to me. Plus, it's still got the poker chip--they tend to go missing on a a lot of '53s...

VamboRool

Is there anything on the label plate on the outside of the case? Don't remember ever seeing anything like that before. Very cool feature.

Bruce R

Looks really nice. Post pics if you get it, but please reduce the size of your images before you insert them. They don't have to be huge to show details.

Aloha_Ark

Assuming it's not too late, ask the seller to strip the strings off and send you a photograph of the frets. The nibs look intact for the most part, and I would hate to have the OP pay for leveling or replacing all the frets. Then ask for the string heights off the 12th fret. There are workarounds (Mojoaxe) to get the action lower, but this would be an added cost. At this stage of history (do I sound like Plutarch?), the going price for a VG+ 1953 LP Goldtop is around $20K. Try not to overpay for anything. Just because this is vintage does not mean it sounds so much better than a historic GT. I have a 2003 1956 RI LP Braz board Goldtop that sounds nearly as good as a vintage 1956 LP GT, at 1/5th the price.