• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What are your general opinions on the 2015 line??

ThomasMateo

Hello everyone, as the title suggests what are your opinions on the 2015 line? I often see them on reverb for ridiculously low prices. I know they were crazy expensive when they came out but they all seemed to have tanked in the resale market. Was the 2015 really that bad of year for the LP? From my understanding, it was the year they celebrated Les Pauls 100th birthday. Because of this, they changed the signature on the headstock, GForce Tuners, Adjustable titanium nut, Les Paul hologram, Slim/wide neck profile, and gold hardshell case. I often hear about how bad they're but most of the features (e.i. tuners, nut, and case) can be replaced with tradtional ones. Is the hate towards them really justified and how do they hold up 5 years later?
Thank you

Last edited:

TexasFM3

Hello ThomasMateo -

Well the question is a loaded one indeed. It is just my opinion, but you will find that there are folks that love all the changes you mentioned. I did not. For me, the problem was that the STANDARD became anything but a STANDARD. The whole definition of what a STANDARD is seemed to come undone. The asymmetrical neck was the hardest for me to get use to. It was a feel I could not adjust to after playing the necks I am use to on other LPs.

I personally have seen a 2015 Standard LP with big gold case for as low as 1100 here in the Houston, TX market. Of course it was scooped up pretty quick. Hell I was even thinking about it myself. I am sure at that price I could have loved it :).

There is absolutely Nothing wrong with them. There are folks that just like a Standard to be the definition of the word. I am one of those. To change it so much and still call it a Standard, well that was a hard pill for me to swallow. If I see one at such a low price again though - I still may have to love one. Just me 2 cents.

Rock On Brother

grimlyflick

If you can get past the wider neck, hologram, weird 100 signature on the headstock and swap out the robotuners, you can get a decent Les Paul on a great deal.

You’d be best off trying one out. Once all the fuss died down that appears to be the general level headed view on the 2015 Les Paul Standard.
:salude

Froggie

I bought a 2015 traditional on-line for €1,200 in 2016 almost half the RRP. There are no Gibson dealers where I live. The colour and finish were nice - heritage cherry sunburst. However, I hated the guitar. Could not get it to tune or stay in tune. The neck was huge, the removable pick guard looked rubbish. And the signature on the headstock really got to me after a while. I sold the guitar for €1,000.00. I bought new 2019 LP Special TV Yellow last year for around the same price and I love it. Miles apart IMO.

Gonzalst

There is absolutely Nothing wrong with them. There are folks that just like a Standard to be the definition of the word. I am one of those. To change it so much and still call it a Standard, well that was a hard pill for me to swallow LiteBlue

Last edited:

jrgtr42

The quality of the woods and construction is fine - it's that the changes mentioned above turned a lot of people off of it.
You can make the argument that Les himself made a ton of changes to his personal guitars and might have approved - but for those out there (or in here) who think it shouldn't be any different than a Burst was in the late '50s, there was a lot of hate.
The nut is a toss up - some people like the zero nut system. It's especially the special insignia and most especially the robo-tuners that got a lot of hate- they really didn't work out that well in practice, from trying a few and talking to people at a few different store that stocked them.
The tuners are eacy to change out, though.

Telechamp

Well, I'm still diggin' my 2015 LP Special Doublecut.

I figured the G-Force tuners would have given up the ghost long ago, but they're still going strong..

I love the slug alnico P90's in this one, and that's the main reason I bought it. (I got it for $599.99 at the 2015 GC Labor day sale.)

D0OcTk9.jpg

AARsJIM.jpg

Lrv1NPN.jpg

wmachine

The quality of the woods and construction is fine - it's that the changes mentioned above turned a lot of people off of it.
You can make the argument that Les himself made a ton of changes to his personal guitars and might have approved - but for those out there (or in here) who think it shouldn't be any different than a Burst was in the late '50s, there was a lot of hate.
The nut is a toss up - some people like the zero nut system. It's especially the special insignia and most especially the robo-tuners that got a lot of hate- they really didn't work out that well in practice, from trying a few and talking to people at a few different store that stocked them.
The tuners are eacy to change out, though.

You are exactly on the right track with what you are saying. The backlash against the 2015 was nothing more than forum based hysteria perpetuated by those that wouldn't know a good instrument if it hit them upside their head. The disrespect shown to the Les Paul signature alone gives you a pretty good idea of the caliber of the reviews. If you talk to the owners and read other more recent threads, you'll find out the 2015s were actually some of the best to come out of Gibson recently. Once you look past the things you mention that get all the bad press, there are other impressive upgrades. Thanks to all the mass hysteria, I was able to buy some really great 2015s brand new for cheap simply because I didn't buy into the hype.
Like you said, if you don't like the tuners, change them out. The only *real* potential problem for some is the neck. It is fine with some (like me), but not for others. Which is the case no matter what the neck is. The quality on mine is outstanding.