• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a Tim Shaw humbucker?

M37a

Hi based on some quick google searched this look like a 70' or early 80's Gibson pickup. It measures 8.78k. Is this a Tim Shaw pickup? Any other tips for ID'ing it?

Ryq7RYZl.jpg

a0mm8GTl.jpg

zacknorton

Tim Shaw's usually have an ink stamp. Not always. But that pickup would be pretty hot for a Tim Shaw.

And the tape?

corpse

Zack- the early ones have the ink stamp- but that stops around 1982-83 and they used these PAF's until the Bill Lawrence PCB ones started in 1988. I cannot say definitively from the etched Pat number.

zacknorton

right. not all have ink.

Do any of the shaw's have bobbin tape showing?

what did this get pulled from?

It seems to be a bit too high on the high side (ohm wise) to be a shaw. No??

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
A Shaw "PAF" would have braided wire, ink stamp on a six hole baseplate. That is a high output pickup from that time, but a not a "Shaw".

M37a

Here are some pictures with the cover removed. Definitely strange. I picked this up from Reverb, not sure what it came out of unfortunately.

LVHsPeyl.jpg

RCJOtjDl.jpg
YbFRnwLl.jpg

MikeSlub

Administrator
The impressed patent number is okay. But braided wire and an Ink stamped serial number would be the best indicators of a Shaw. Also, I’ve never seen a sloppy one with the tape sticking out around the cover. That pickup may be rewound.

I don’t get the non-braided wire on this one. Doubtful that it is a Shaw, but from that era.

I don’t know how the urban legend got started regarding the greatness of Shaw pickups. I have a number of them in my reissue Les Pauls. They are good, but nothing to write home about IMHO. :hank

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have a number of them in my reissue Les Pauls. They are good, but nothing to write home about IMHO. :hank

My first real Les Paul was a 1982 Studio Custom with Shaw PAF's (Had the stickers on the pickup rings) and after I bought three more Les Pauls, it just couldn't compare to the T-Tops. It was a little "muffled" sounding.

dnabbet2

My first real Les Paul was a 1982 Studio Custom with Shaw PAF's (Had the stickers on the pickup rings) and after I bought three more Les Pauls, it just couldn't compare to the T-Tops. It was a little "muffled" sounding.

I srtill have a 1980 Standard 80 from about 1982 that came with Tim Shaws. I also had three Elite 80s over the years. And the first thing I did on all of them was install early DiMarzio PAFs 'cause I was playing funky stuff and wanted more brightness and articulation -- the Tim Shaws did sound muffled to me.

But I wanted to say the inked numbers faded from the pickup chassis almost completely ... aided by the removal of those grey self-adhesive foam-rubber cubes about the size of sugar cubes that used to hold the pickup steady in Les Pauls in the early 1980s. So yuou might see little traces of foam rubber and no inked number on a Tim Shaw.