• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Him bucket sized p90s

Chris Axewound

Hey all, I’m looking to find some humbucker sized p90s in black for my custom, anyone recommend any?? Thanks

mdubya

I agree with this video. I have 4 different P-90 guitars and one SG with a humbucker sized P-90 (Duncan Phat Cat) in the neck and an early '57 Classic Plus in the bridge.

I like the Phat Cat on its own, but it doesn't have the output of a true P-90 and it doesn't pair with the '57 Classic Plus all that well due to the lower volume output. It does produce nice low output vintage tones and takes fuzz really well, but it does not give the kinds of thrill of a traditional P-90, all IMHO.

Some more reading to help you decide.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20058-humbucker-sized-p-90-review-roundup

Phil X used a P-94 a lot and it sounded great. I would like to try one.

metropolis

Just to bring this back up with some relevant content Phil McKnight did a demo comparison of a Dimarzio HB sized P90, a true P90 and a noiseless one which might be helpful.

Trans-Am

The P94 is great and a straight drop in w/o mods if you want to stay Gibson all the way here.:yah

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
I love the ones I got from Zhangbucker.

Big Al

I agree with this video. I have 4 different P-90 guitars and one SG with a humbucker sized P-90 (Duncan Phat Cat) in the neck and an early '57 Classic Plus in the bridge.

I like the Phat Cat on its own, but it doesn't have the output of a true P-90 and it doesn't pair with the '57 Classic Plus all that well due to the lower volume output. It does produce nice low output vintage tones and takes fuzz really well, but it does not give the kinds of thrill of a traditional P-90, all IMHO.

Some more reading to help you decide.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20058-humbucker-sized-p-90-review-roundup

Phil X used a P-94 a lot and it sounded great. I would like to try one.

This only applies to the Phat Cat. I don't understandthe output thing, as p90 outputs vary a lot, as well as there are so many differences among all the Gibson types, not to mention all the many variety of p90 flavor served up by so many different winders, some who offer multiple versions!!!

So which p90?? All any of these videos show is one type or version in comparison to another type, not necessarily matched types. Little to learn unless you are interested in those exact two. I think I can offer an informed opinion as I am a long time p90 user and advocate and you can find many threads from 20 years ago, here on this forum, where lively and spirited discussion about the merits of p90 pickups and their tone were engaged.

All I can offer is this, take from it what you will. All the various humbucker sized p90 pickups I have heard do sound like p90's. In the same way all the various p90 offerings by all the various makers, do sound like p90's. Just like PAF pickups vary, as do all the clones. They have that voice, they speak p90. How articulate, or which accent you are trying to match will determine which humbucker size p90 will best meet your needs.